Grand canonical and canonical ensemble

In summary, the grand canonical ensemble and the canonical ensemble can be equivalent in the thermodynamic limit, but the grand canonical ensemble does not describe a system with a fixed number of particles. The difference is important to note when considering the equivalence of the two ensembles.
mimpim
Suppose that we have a system of particles (I am assuming a general system), and I want to find the ground state energy ##E_0##. We know that we can consider our system by canonical ensemble formalism OR by grand canonical ensemble so that ##H_G=H-\mu N## (in which ##H## is the Hamiltonian in canonical ensemble and ##H_G## is the grand canonical Hamiltonian).

My question is this: If I find the ground energy ##E_0## in either of them, then they would be the same?

Any explanation is welcomed
Thanks

mimpim said:
My question is this: If I find the ground energy ##E_0## in either of them, then they would be the same?

To be pedantic, the grand canonical ensemble actually doesn't describe a system with a fixed number of particles. Rather, it describes a system where the number of particles is fluctuating (being exchanged with the environment). However, in practice, the number fluctuations usually tends to zero in the thermodynamic limit so you can use the GCE for a fixed number of particles anyways. The prescription is to compute the mean number of particles in your system, and then set your chemical potential to whatever value it needs to be such that the "mean number of particles" equals the actual number of particles. If your particle fluctuations are small (you should be able to check this), your resulting system will be totally equivalent to the canonical ensemble.

This actually turns out to be a godsend in many systems, since computing the grand partition function for a many-particle system is often much easier than computing the canonical partition function, where you need to sum over configurations with a fixed number of particles which may require some constraint due to quantum particle statistics.

The two ensembles become usually equivalent in the thermodynamic limit, i.e. ##V \to \infty## and ## N \to \infty## with ##N/V## fixed.

king vitamin said:
To be pedantic, the grand canonical ensemble actually doesn't describe a system with a fixed number of particles.
Yes, sure, but why should this be a problem in the context of the question?

DrDu said:
Yes, sure, but why should this be a problem in the context of the question?

Since the CE does describe a system with a fixed number of particles, pointing out this difference is important when addressing the OP's question (roughly: "When are the two ensembles equivalent?").

1. What is the difference between the grand canonical and canonical ensemble?

The grand canonical ensemble describes a system in contact with a reservoir of particles and energy, allowing for particle and energy exchange between the system and the reservoir. The canonical ensemble, on the other hand, describes a system in contact with a heat bath at a fixed temperature, allowing for only energy exchange between the system and the heat bath.

2. How do the grand canonical and canonical ensemble relate to statistical mechanics?

The grand canonical and canonical ensemble are two different statistical ensembles used to describe the behavior of a system at the microscopic level. They provide a way to calculate the thermodynamic properties of a system based on the statistical properties of its constituent particles.

3. What is the significance of the chemical potential in the grand canonical ensemble?

The chemical potential is a key parameter in the grand canonical ensemble as it determines the probability of a particle entering or leaving the system. It also plays a crucial role in determining the equilibrium state of the system.

4. How is the partition function calculated in the grand canonical and canonical ensemble?

In the grand canonical ensemble, the partition function is calculated as a sum over all possible states of the system, taking into account the energy and particle exchange with the reservoir. In the canonical ensemble, the partition function is a sum over all possible energy states of the system.

5. What are some real-world applications of the grand canonical and canonical ensemble?

The grand canonical and canonical ensemble are widely used in various fields of physics, chemistry, and materials science. They are particularly useful in studying the behavior of gases, liquids, and solids, as well as in understanding phase transitions and chemical reactions. They are also used in the development of advanced materials and in the design of efficient energy systems.