Fermi gas at the absolute zero T

In summary, the conversation discusses the methods for computing the internal energy, pressure, and other thermodynamic properties of a Fermi gas at absolute zero temperature. One method, called "method 1," involves summing up the energy of states weighted by their average occupation number, while the other method, "method 2," involves calculating the partition function and then using it to derive the thermodynamic quantities. The speaker prefers method 2 for consistency, but most textbooks use method 1. The issue with method 2 is that it must account for the Pauli exclusion principle, which can be avoided by starting from the grand canonical ensemble and deriving a canonical ensemble solution.
JH_Park
I'm currently studying Thermodynamic properties of a Fermi gas at the absolute zero temperature.
I get how the internal energy, pressure... etc of the gas are derived. For example, in computing the internal energy, one sums up all the energy of states weighted by its average occupation number(which is derived from using grand-canonical ensemble formalism) of that states, including a degeneracy of the states.
U=∑(2S+1)ε(k)n(k)
(where S: total spin, ε(k): energy of a standing fermi wave whose wave vector is k,
n(k): average occupation number of k)
I shall call this method as "method 1". This approach intuitively makes sense to me but I found a little bit of subtle mathematical inconsistency in this calculation.
As far as I understand, when we compute an average of some observable quantity in Statistical Mechanics, we first calculate an appropriate partition function depending on which ensembles we use. Then, from the partition function, we next compute the corresponding thermodynamic potentials and by making appropriate derivatives we can get average values of thermodynamic quantities of the ensemble. (method 2)
For consistency, I personally want to derive thermodynamic quantities using the method 2 but all the textbook I reference at follow the method 1. Is there any mathematical proof I can look up saying that method 1 and 2 are essentially identical?? or Is there any reference that actually derives thermodynamic quantities using the method 2?
Sorry for bad english TT

Physics news on Phys.org
The problem of method 2 is that you have to ensure that the sum over states only includes states that are allowed by the Pauli exclusion principle. Starting from the grand canonical ensemble to derive a canonical ensemble solution allows to circumvent that difficulty, by considering only one single-particle state at a time.

Likes JH_Park

1. What is a Fermi gas at absolute zero temperature?

A Fermi gas at absolute zero temperature is a theoretical model used in physics to describe a gas of fermions (particles with half-integer spin) at the lowest possible temperature, where all thermal motion has ceased. This model is often used to study the behavior of electrons in a solid at very low temperatures.

2. What happens to a Fermi gas at absolute zero temperature?

At absolute zero temperature, the energy levels of the fermions in a Fermi gas are completely filled, following the Pauli exclusion principle. This means that no two fermions can occupy the same energy level, resulting in a highly ordered and dense state of matter known as a degenerate gas. The fermions are in their lowest possible energy state and there is no thermal energy present to cause them to move.

3. How is a Fermi gas at absolute zero temperature different from a classical gas?

In a classical gas, particles can have any energy level and can occupy the same energy level as other particles. However, in a Fermi gas at absolute zero temperature, particles are restricted to specific energy levels and cannot occupy the same energy level. This leads to different thermodynamic and quantum mechanical properties, such as the Fermi-Dirac statistics that govern the behavior of fermions in a degenerate gas.

4. Can a Fermi gas at absolute zero temperature exist in real life?

In theory, a Fermi gas at absolute zero temperature can exist, but it is impossible to achieve in practice. The third law of thermodynamics states that it is impossible to reach absolute zero temperature through a finite number of processes. However, scientists have been able to create extremely cold gases, known as Bose-Einstein condensates, which exhibit some similar properties to a Fermi gas at absolute zero.

5. What are some real-life applications of studying Fermi gases at absolute zero temperature?

Studying Fermi gases at absolute zero temperature can help us better understand the behavior of electrons in materials at very low temperatures. This has applications in fields such as superconductivity, where materials exhibit zero resistance to electrical current at low temperatures. Understanding the properties of Fermi gases can also aid in the development of quantum computers and other advanced technologies.