Grand Partition Function Question

In summary, the Grand Partition Function is a mathematical concept used in statistical mechanics to describe the equilibrium state of a system in contact with a reservoir of particles. It is calculated by summing over all possible states of the system and is used to calculate the probability of a system being in a particular state and various thermodynamic properties. It differs from the Partition Function in that it considers the exchange of particles with a reservoir and is used for systems with a variable number of particles. It can be applied to any system in equilibrium and in contact with a reservoir, but is most commonly used in the study of gases and dilute solutions.
ppyadof

Homework Statement

a) Suppose particles can be adsorbed onto a surface such that each adsorption site can be occupied by up to 6 atoms each in single-particle quantum state [itex]\psi_i[/itex] with an adsorption energy [itex]\epsilon_i[/itex]. Write down the grand partition function for one site.

b) If [itex]\frac{\epsilon_1 - \mu}{k_{B}T} = 0.7 [/itex] show that your expression for the grand partition function is very close to that of a Bose system where any number of particles may occupy the site.

c) Find the probability that there are 6 particles on the site.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt so far at part a) (I'm not even sure if this is right, lol):

[tex] Z = \sum_{i=1}^{6} e^{- \frac{\epsilon_i - \mu}{k_B T}} [/tex]

I don't really know how to get started on b. I did think that it might follow the reasoning that as u increase the number of particles which can be absorbed at a given site, the exponential part of Z becomes smaller and smaller, and so it approaches the geometric series that u get when you apply a similar analysis to a system of bose particles... Is that idea anywhere near right?

For part c) I thought that:
[tex] P_k = \frac{e^{\frac{\epsilion_{6} - \mu}{k_B T} }}{1 - e^{- \frac{\epsilon_1 - \mu}{k_B T}}} [/tex]

Since we know from the previous part that the grand partition function can be approximated by the partition function of a bose system. Is any of this right?

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your interesting question. I would like to provide some guidance on your attempt at solving the problem.

For part a), your expression for the grand partition function is correct. However, it would be helpful to define the terms in your equation for better understanding. For example, \epsilon_i could represent the adsorption energy of a single particle in state \psi_i, and \mu could be the chemical potential. This way, your equation becomes more clear and easier to work with.

For part b), your intuition is correct. As the number of particles that can be adsorbed at a site increases, the exponential term in the grand partition function becomes smaller and the expression becomes closer to that of a Bose system. You can show this by taking the limit as the number of particles approaches infinity, which would result in the Bose-Einstein distribution.

For part c), your expression for the probability of having 6 particles on the site is not quite right. The correct expression should be:

P_6 = \frac{e^{-6 \frac{\epsilon_1 - \mu}{k_B T}}}{Z}

Where Z is the grand partition function you defined in part a). This probability represents the likelihood of having all 6 particles in the same state \psi_1, which is the lowest energy state. As you can see, as the chemical potential \mu approaches the energy of the lowest state \epsilon_1, the probability of having all 6 particles in that state increases.

I hope this helps you in your understanding of the problem. Keep up the good work in your studies!

1. What is the Grand Partition Function?

The Grand Partition Function is a mathematical concept used in statistical mechanics to describe the equilibrium state of a system that is in contact with a reservoir of particles. It takes into account both the number of particles in the system and their energy levels.

2. How is the Grand Partition Function calculated?

The Grand Partition Function is calculated by summing over all possible states of the system, taking into account the energy of each state and the number of particles in that state. This can be expressed as:
Ξ = ∑e^(−βEi) * Ni

3. What is the significance of the Grand Partition Function?

The Grand Partition Function allows us to calculate the probability of a system being in a particular state, as well as the average values of various thermodynamic properties such as energy, entropy, and temperature. It is an important tool in understanding the behavior of complex systems.

4. How is the Grand Partition Function different from the Partition Function?

The Partition Function only takes into account the number of particles in a system and their energy levels, while the Grand Partition Function also considers the exchange of particles with a reservoir. The Grand Partition Function is used for systems with a variable number of particles, while the Partition Function is used for systems with a fixed number of particles.

5. Can the Grand Partition Function be applied to any system?

The Grand Partition Function can be applied to any system that is in equilibrium and in contact with a reservoir. This includes gas systems, solids, and liquids. However, it is most commonly used in the study of gases and dilute solutions.