Partition function from the density of states

In summary, the given density of states is used to calculate the canonical partition function as a function of x by taking a Laplace transform. The third term is an integral that can be solved using the incomplete gamma function. Alternatively, one can replace the factor E^N with (-1)^N times the N-th derivative of the exponential with respect to beta, making the integral trivial to solve.
snatchingthepi
Homework Statement
See post
Relevant Equations
See post
I'm given the following density of states

$$ \Omega(E) = \delta(E) + N\delta(E-\Delta) + \theta(E-\Delta)\left(\frac{1}{\Delta}\right)\left(\frac{E}{N\Delta}\right)^N $$

where $ \Delta $ is a positive constant. From here I have to "calculate the canonical partition function as a function of $$ x=\beta\Delta $$ using the incomplex gamma function

$$ \Gamma(n,x) = \int_x^\infty dt e^{-t} t^{n-1} $$

I know this can be solved for a partition function by taking a Laplace transform of the density of states. I can do the first two term very easily, but for the third term

$$ z_{can} = \int_0^\infty \theta(E-\Delta)\left(\frac{1}{\Delta}\right)\left(\frac{E}{N\Delta}\right)^N exp[-\beta E] dE $$

I'm not sure how to go forward from here. I've never seen an integral like this. I am thinking the step function changes the integral lower bound, but I'm kinda strung out so near the end of term, and am not seeing where to go now. Can anyone please help out?

Physics news on Phys.org
Please tell us exact step where you are stuck. The integral is doable using incomplete gamma functions

I am unsure *how* to do this integrla with the incomplete gamma function. My thought hit a dead-end at

$$ z_{can} = \int_0^\infty \theta(E-\Delta)\left(\frac{1}{\Delta}\right)\left(\frac{E}{N\Delta}\right)^N exp[-\beta E] dE $$

$$ z_{can} = \int_\Delta^\infty \left(\frac{1}{\Delta}\right)\left(\frac{E}{N\Delta}\right)^N exp[-\beta E] dE $$

let $$ x=\beta \Delta $$

and for the incomplete gamma function let

$$ t = \frac{-xE}{\Delta}, dt = \frac{-x}{\Delta} dE $$

so

$$ z_{can} = \left(\frac{1}{N \Delta}\right)^N \int_x^\infty dt t^N exp[-t] $$

$$ z_{can} = \left(\frac{1}{N \Delta}\right)^N \Gamma(N+1, x) $$

I'm not convinced of my math in these last few steps.

Last edited:
snatchingthepi said:
Homework Statement:: See post
Relevant Equations:: See post

I'm given the following density of states

$$ \Omega(E) = \delta(E) + N\delta(E-\Delta) + \theta(E-\Delta)\left(\frac{1}{\Delta}\right)\left(\frac{E}{N\Delta}\right)^N $$

where $ \Delta $ is a positive constant. From here I have to "calculate the canonical partition function as a function of $$ x=\beta\Delta $$ using the incomplex gamma function

$$ \Gamma(n,x) = \int_x^\infty dt e^{-t} t^{n-1} $$

I know this can be solved for a partition function by taking a Laplace transform of the density of states. I can do the first two term very easily, but for the third term

I'm not sure how to go forward from here. I've never seen an integral like this. I am thinking the step function changes the integral lower bound, but I'm kinda strung out so near the end of term, and am not seeing where to go now. Can anyone please help out?
You could also replace the factor ##E^N## by ##(-1)^N## times the N-th derivative of the exponential with respect to ##\beta##. The integral will be trivial and then you can apply the N-th derivative wrt ##\beta## on the result to get the final answer.

Likes snatchingthepi

1. What is the partition function and how is it related to the density of states?

The partition function is a mathematical concept used in statistical mechanics to describe the distribution of particles in a system. It is related to the density of states, which is a measure of the number of energy states available to a system. The partition function takes into account the energy levels and degeneracy of a system, while the density of states only considers the number of energy levels.

2. How is the partition function calculated from the density of states?

The partition function is calculated by summing over all possible energy states of a system, weighted by their respective degeneracy and the energy at that state. This can be expressed mathematically as Z = ∑g(E)e^(-E/kT), where g(E) is the density of states at energy E, k is the Boltzmann constant, and T is the temperature.

3. What is the significance of the partition function in thermodynamics?

The partition function is a fundamental concept in thermodynamics as it allows us to calculate important thermodynamic quantities such as the internal energy, free energy, and entropy of a system. It also provides a way to connect the microscopic properties of particles to the macroscopic properties of a system.

4. How does the partition function change with temperature?

The partition function is directly proportional to the temperature, meaning that as the temperature increases, the partition function also increases. This is because at higher temperatures, there are more available energy states for particles to occupy, leading to a larger partition function.

5. Can the partition function be used to predict the behavior of a system?

Yes, the partition function is a powerful tool in predicting the thermodynamic behavior of a system. By calculating the partition function, we can determine the most probable state of a system, as well as its thermodynamic properties such as heat capacity and phase transitions. It can also be used to study the behavior of complex systems, such as gases and solids, at different temperatures and pressures.