Graphene - Green's function technique

In summary, the problem is that you do not know which Green’s function to use when computing the screened Coulomb potential in graphene. You can use the expression in equation (2.12) or (2.13), but it may not be the most efficient approach.
csopi
Graphene -- Green's function technique

Hi,

I am looking for a comprehensive review about using Matsubara Green's function technique for graphene (or at least some hints in the following problem). I have already learned some finite temperature Green's function technique, but only the basics.

What confuses me is that graphene has two sublattices (say A and B), and so (in principle) we have four non-interacting Green's functions: [tex]G_{AA}(k,\tau)=-\langle T_{\tau}a_k(\tau)a_k^{\dagger}(0)\rangle,[/tex] ,

where [tex]a_k[/tex] is the annihilation operator acting on the A sublattice. G_{AB}, G_{BA} and G_{BB} are defined in a similar way.

Of course, there are connections between them, but G_{AA} and G_{AB} are essentially different. Now when I am to compute e.g. the screened Coulomb potential, I do not know, which Green's function should be used to evaluate the polarization bubble.

Thank you for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org

I think you will find the answer you are looking for when you consider the expression for the bubble in coordinate space.

Dear DrDu,

thank you for your response, but I do not think, I understand how your suggestion helps me. Please explain it to me a bit more thoroughly.

I mean that the electromagnetic field couples locally to the electrons. Hence the bubble is some integral containing a product of two Greensfunctions G(x,x')G(x,x'). What consequences does locality have in the case of Graphene?

Dear tejas777,

This is a very nice review, thank you very much. Let me ask just one final question: can you explain, how comes
[tex]F_{s,s'}(p,q)[/tex]

in eq. (2.12) and (2.13) ?

Look at section 6.2 (on page 19/23) in:

http://nanohub.org/resources/7436/download/Notes_on_low_field_transport_in_graphene.pdf

Now, the link contains a specific example. You can probably use this type of approach to derive a more general expression, one involving the ##s## and ##s'##. I may have read an actual journal article containing the rigorous analysis, but I cannot recall which one it was at the moment. If I am able to find that article I will post it here asap.

1. What is graphene and why is it important in the field of nanotechnology?

Graphene is a two-dimensional form of carbon consisting of a single layer of atoms arranged in a hexagonal lattice. It is important in nanotechnology because of its exceptional properties, including high electrical and thermal conductivity, strength, and flexibility.

2. What is the Green's function technique and how does it relate to graphene?

The Green's function technique is a mathematical method used to solve differential equations in physics. It is particularly useful in studying the electronic properties of materials, such as graphene, as it allows for the calculation of the electron density and energy levels.

3. How is the Green's function technique used to study the electronic properties of graphene?

The Green's function technique is used to calculate the electron density and energy levels in graphene by solving the Schrödinger equation, which describes the behavior of quantum particles, such as electrons. By using this technique, scientists can gain insight into the electronic structure of graphene and its unique properties.

4. What are some potential applications of graphene in the future?

Graphene has been explored for a wide range of potential applications, including in electronics, energy storage, sensors, and biomedical devices. Its exceptional properties make it a promising material for innovations in various industries.

5. Are there any limitations or challenges in using the Green's function technique to study graphene?

One limitation of using the Green's function technique is that it requires a significant amount of computational power and resources, making it time-consuming and expensive. Additionally, the technique may not accurately capture the effects of defects or impurities in the graphene structure, which can affect its electronic properties.