Expected Value of Hamiltonian in a Forced Quantum Harmonic Oscillator.

In summary, the difference between the energies at $t=+\infty$ and $t=-\infty$ is always positive for a Harmonic Oscillator perturbed by $f(t)\hat{x}$.
Helvecius

Homework Statement

Given an initial [itex](t=-∞)[/itex] Fock state , [itex]\left|n\right\rangle[/itex], and a function [itex]f(t)[/itex], where [itex]f(±∞)=0[/itex], show that for a Harmonic Oscillator perturbed by [itex]f(t)\hat{x}[/itex] the difference [itex]\left\langle H(+∞) \right\rangle - \left\langle H(-∞) \right\rangle[/itex] is always positive.

Homework Equations

The Hamiltonian will be [itex]H(t) = \hbar[/itex][itex]ω[/itex][itex](a^{\dagger}a+\frac{1}{2})[/itex] [itex]-f(t)(a+a^{\dagger})[/itex], where I've transferred the constant of the creation and annihilation operators to the function.
At [itex]t=-∞[/itex] the initial state is [itex]\left|\psi(-∞)\right\rangle = \left|n\right\rangle[/itex] and [itex]f(-∞)=0[/itex], so it's the unperturbed Hamiltonian and [itex]\left\langle H(-∞) \right\rangle = (n + \frac{1}{2})\hbarω[/itex].
Also, in Heisenberg's picture, [[itex]a(t), a^{\dagger}(t)[/itex]] = 1.

The Attempt at a Solution

My professor has suggested me to solve the Langevin equation for expected value or use Heisenberg's picture.

The first takes me to:
[itex]\left\langle H(+∞) \right\rangle - \left\langle H(-∞) \right\rangle = ∫^{∞}_{-∞} \left\langle ∂_{t}H(t) \right\rangle dt[/itex], and I am unable to go any farther since we don't have any other information about [itex]f(t)[/itex].

The last takes me to:
[itex] i\hbar \frac{d a(t)}{dt} = [a(t),H(t)] = -f(t) + \hbarω a(t)[/itex], which can be solved as [itex] a(t) = a(t_{0})e^{-iω(t-t_{0})} + \frac{i}{\hbar}∫^{t}_{t_{0}} f(t')e^{-iω(t-t')}dt'[/itex]. I assumed that when I take [itex]t_{0} = -∞[/itex] the first term of the sum is [itex]a[/itex], the annihilation operator. The same can be done to the creation operator. However, how can I use these integrals to evaluate [itex]\left\langle H(+∞) \right\rangle[/itex]? How to deal with the the integration when I substitute t for +∞?
I expected the time derivative of [itex]f(t)[/itex] to appear somehow, so that the boundary could be used, but I can't seem to get that. Will it ever appear?
Another idea I had was that since the perturbation ceases to act upon the system I could use the adiabatic approximation, but that would mean the state is the same and the difference between the expected values is merely zero.

Am I missing something? Is there a way to use the results I've already found?
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
A:The solution is to use the adiabatic theorem. The difference between the energies at $t=+\infty$ and $t=-\infty$ is the same as the difference between the adiabatic eigenenergies of the two Hamiltonians. This can be proven using the adiabatic theorem.The adiabatic eigenenergies (and eigenstates) are given by the solutions to$$H(-\infty)\Psi_n^{(-\infty)} = E_n^{(-\infty)}\Psi_n^{(-\infty)},$$and similarly for the Hamiltonian at $t=+\infty$. Since the Hamiltonians are different, the eigenenergies will be different and the difference between them is$$E_n^{(+\infty)} - E_n^{(-\infty)} = \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}\frac{d\langle\Psi_n|H'|\Psi_n\rangle}{dt}dt = \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}\langle\Psi_n|H'|\Psi_n\rangle dt,$$where I have introduced the notation $H'=\frac{\partial H}{\partial t}$. Since $f(\pm\infty)=0$ it follows that $\langle\Psi_n|H'|\Psi_n\rangle=0$ for $t=\pm\infty$, so the integral is always positive.

Related to Expected Value of Hamiltonian in a Forced Quantum Harmonic Oscillator.

What is the expected value of Hamiltonian in a forced quantum harmonic oscillator?

The expected value of Hamiltonian in a forced quantum harmonic oscillator refers to the average energy of the system in a specific state. It is calculated by taking the sum of the energy of all possible states, weighted by their respective probabilities.

How is the expected value of Hamiltonian calculated?

The expected value of Hamiltonian is calculated by using the Schrödinger equation, which describes the time evolution of the quantum state of a system. The Schrödinger equation is solved to obtain the wavefunction, which is then used to calculate the expected value of the Hamiltonian.

What is the significance of the expected value of Hamiltonian in a forced quantum harmonic oscillator?

The expected value of Hamiltonian is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics, as it allows us to predict the average energy of a system in a specific state. It is also used to study the behavior of quantum systems, such as the forced quantum harmonic oscillator, and make predictions about their future state.

How does the expected value of Hamiltonian change with time in a forced quantum harmonic oscillator?

In a forced quantum harmonic oscillator, the expected value of Hamiltonian remains constant over time, as long as the system is in a stationary state. However, if the system is in a non-stationary state, the expected value of Hamiltonian may change over time as the system evolves.

What factors can affect the expected value of Hamiltonian in a forced quantum harmonic oscillator?

The expected value of Hamiltonian in a forced quantum harmonic oscillator can be affected by several factors, such as the strength of the forcing, the mass of the oscillator, and the initial state of the system. It can also be affected by external factors, such as temperature or external forces.