Graphing a function under a complex mapping

In summary: That would restrict your study to circles of radius 1, while the problem gives no indication that that is its intent.In summary, the conversation discusses how to illustrate the mapping of the function f(z)=z+1/z for a parametric line and a circle. The suggested method involves plugging in numerical values for z and then manipulating the equation to get a parametric curve of the form x=A(t), y=B(t). It is important to plot y against x instead of f against t, and to avoid assuming r=1 for the circle case.
cragar

Homework Statement

Illustrate the mapping of [itex] f(z)=z+\frac{1}{z} [/itex]
for a parametric line.

The Attempt at a Solution

the equation for a parametric line is [itex] z(t)=z_0(1-t)+z_1(t) [/itex]
so I plug z(t) in for z in f(z), but I don't get an obvious expression on how to graph it,
I tried manipulating it,
Was also wondering if I should represent [itex] f(z)=\frac{(z-i)(z+i)}{z} [/itex]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
cragar said:

Homework Statement

Illustrate the mapping of [itex] f(z)=z+\frac{1}{z} [/itex]
for a parametric line.

The Attempt at a Solution

the equation for a parametric line is [itex] z(t)=z_0(1-t)+z_1(t) [/itex]
so I plug z(t) in for z in f(z), but I don't get an obvious expression on how to graph it,
I tried manipulating it,
Was also wondering if I should represent [itex] f(z)=\frac{(z-i)(z+i)}{z} [/itex]
Pick some numerical values ##z_1 = x_1 + i y_1## and ##z_2 = x_2 + i y_2##, then look at ##f(z) = z + 1/z## at ##z = z_1 (1-t) + z_2\, t##:
$$\begin{array}{rcl}f(z) &=&z_1 (1-t) + z_2\, t + \frac{1}{z_1 (1-t) + z_2\, t}\\
&=& \displaystyle (x_1+ i y_1)(1-t) + (x_2 + iy_2) t + \frac{1}{ (x_1+ i y_1)(1-t) + (x_2 + iy_2) t }
\end{array}$$
After some algebra this will have the form ##A(t) + i B(t)## for some functions ##A, B##, so you get a parametric curve of the form ##x = A(t)##, ##y = B(t)## to plot.

Last edited:
ok thanks, I also need to do it for a circle, For a circle the
equtation is [itex] z(t)=re^{it} [/itex]
so If I plug this into f(z) I get , and I am assuming r=1 for this [itex] e^{it}+e^{-it} [/itex]
which is 2cos(t), so then Ijust graph 2*cos(t) as my answer.

cragar said:
ok thanks, I also need to do it for a circle, For a circle the
equtation is [itex] z(t)=re^{it} [/itex]
so If I plug this into f(z) I get , and I am assuming r=1 for this [itex] e^{it}+e^{-it} [/itex]
which is 2cos(t), so then Ijust graph 2*cos(t) as my answer.
That does not follow the recipe Ray gave you. He explained that you should plot y against x, not f against t.
Also, it would be better to avoid assuming r=1.

1. What is a complex mapping and how does it relate to graphing a function?

A complex mapping is a mathematical transformation that maps points from one complex plane to another. It is used to transform a function from one domain to another, allowing for easier analysis and visualization. Graphing a function under a complex mapping involves applying a specific transformation to the function's coordinates, resulting in a new graph with a different shape and orientation.

2. How do I identify the type of complex mapping needed for a specific function?

The type of complex mapping needed for a function depends on the specific characteristics and properties of the function. Some common types of complex mappings include linear transformations, translations, rotations, and dilations. To identify the type of mapping needed, you can analyze the function's equation and determine which transformation will result in the desired changes to the graph.

3. What are the key steps to graphing a function under a complex mapping?

The key steps to graphing a function under a complex mapping are:

1. Determine the type of complex mapping needed for the function.
  2. Apply the transformation to the function's coordinates using the appropriate formulas.
  3. Plot the transformed coordinates on a new complex plane to create the new graph.
  4. Check for any additional transformations that may be needed to fully represent the function.

4. Can graphing a function under a complex mapping help visualize its behavior?

Yes, graphing a function under a complex mapping can help visualize its behavior by transforming the function's original graph into a new one with different characteristics. This can make it easier to identify key features of the function, such as its domain, range, and critical points.

5. Are there any tools or software that can assist with graphing a function under a complex mapping?

Yes, there are many tools and software available that can assist with graphing a function under a complex mapping. Some examples include graphing calculators, mathematical software such as Mathematica or MATLAB, and online graphing tools that allow you to input a function and apply various transformations to its graph.