Graphing Data in Excel: Error Bar Confusion

In summary, the speaker is writing a paper on an experiment and has a question about graphing data in Excel. They are unsure about how to determine the error bars for the inverse of length and for the theoretical frequency squared. They are also seeking reassurance about propagating errors in f(y) with a given uncertainty for y.
Hi Im Paul
I'm currently writing a paper over an experiment I did for class and I have a very stupid question over I need clarification on before I continue.

I am using excel to graph out data, and I have determined that the error in my Length is .001 m. However, I am graphing the inverse of length to show that my theoretical model is proportional to 1/L. Will the error bars I use be .001, or will the error bars be 1/.001? Surely it can't be 1/.001!

Also, I determined through error propegation that the error in my theoretical frequency is, let's say 17. However, I am graphing my theoretical f^2. Will my error bars by 17, or 17^2?

Could use some reassurance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider your variable to be y = 1/x. The uncertainty is δx=0.001 m. What is the uncertainty δy? Then propagate errors in f(y) knowing δy.

What are error bars and why are they important in graphing data?

Error bars are graphical representations of the variability of data. They are important in graphing data because they provide a visual representation of the uncertainty or variability in the data points. This helps to better understand the overall trend and reliability of the data.

How do I add error bars to my graph in Excel?

To add error bars in Excel, first select the data points in your graph. Then, click on the "Chart Elements" button on the right side of the graph and select "Error Bars" from the drop-down menu. From there, you can customize the type, direction, and amount of error bars to be displayed.

What do the different types of error bars (such as standard error, standard deviation, etc.) represent?

The different types of error bars represent different measures of variability in the data. Standard error represents the variability of the sample means, standard deviation represents the variability of individual data points, and confidence intervals represent the range of values within which the true population value is likely to fall.

How can I change the appearance of the error bars in my graph?

To change the appearance of error bars in Excel, select the error bars in your graph and then right-click to open the "Format Error Bars" menu. Here, you can change the style, color, and width of the error bars to better suit your needs.

Why are my error bars not showing up on my graph?

There could be a few reasons why error bars are not showing up on your graph. First, make sure that you have selected the data points for which you want to add error bars. Also, check that the error bars are visible by going to the "Chart Elements" button and ensuring that "Error Bars" is selected. If the issue persists, try adjusting the type or amount of error bars to see if that makes a difference.