Graphing Functions in n Dimensions, Parametric Equations

In summary, the conversation discussed a Khan Academy video on graphing functions in multiple dimensions and the representation of a linear function using vectors. The question of how to graph polynomials and trigonometric functions was raised, along with the possibility of using constant vectors and a parameter to represent other curves.
TheDemx27
Gold Member
So I was watching this video on Khan Academy, and it talks about graphing functions that have values in multiple dimensions. It shows how to represent a linear function in 3 dimensions with a set of vectors, L ={p1 + t(p1-p2)|t∈R} where p1 and p2 are vectors that lie on the line you want to graph. My question is: How would one go about graphing polynomials, or trigonometric functions?

The video was under the linear algebra category, but to be honest I don't know enough about linear algebra to determine whether or not this should go in that subforum.

Last edited:
TheDemx27 said:
My question is: How would one go about graphing polynomials, or trigonometric functions?

Having watched the video, I'd phrase your question this way:

A line can be represented in vector form as [itex] L = P + tV [/itex] where [itex] P [/itex] and [itex] V [/itex] are constant vectors and [itex] t [/itex] is a parameter. What curves can be represented using constant vectors and a parameter?

That's as good question. We could start by looking by plotting examples in 2D, like [itex] C = P + tV + t^2W [/itex] just to see what they look like.

1. What is the purpose of graphing functions in n dimensions and parametric equations?

Graphing functions in n dimensions and parametric equations allows us to visualize and understand complex mathematical relationships. It also helps us analyze and interpret data in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. How many dimensions can we graph a function in?

A function can be graphed in any number of dimensions, from 1D (a simple line graph) to 3D (a surface or 3D shape) and beyond. The number of dimensions depends on the variables and parameters involved in the function.

3. What is the difference between parametric equations and regular equations?

In regular equations, the variables are directly related to each other and can be solved for a specific output. In parametric equations, the variables are related to a third variable (known as a parameter) and the output is dependent on this parameter. Parametric equations allow for more flexibility and can describe curves and shapes that regular equations cannot.

4. How do we plot parametric equations on a graph?

To plot parametric equations on a graph, we first need to find the coordinates for a set of points by plugging in different values for the parameter. Then, we plot these points on a coordinate plane and connect them to form a curve or shape. The more points we plot, the more accurate the graph will be.

5. Can we graph more than one function in n dimensions?

Yes, we can graph multiple functions in n dimensions by using different variables and parameters for each function. This allows us to compare and analyze the relationships between multiple variables and parameters at once.