How to graph parametric equations?

In summary, based on the conversation, the individual has obtained two equations, vx(t) and vy(t), for projectile motion with air resistance. These equations can be parametrized and used to graph the trajectory of the projectile over time. However, solving for x(t) and y(t) requires further integration and the use of graphing software. The method may be valid depending on the desired outcome and there may be multiple solutions for different phases of the trajectory. The individual may be using a simplified drag model where acceleration due to drag is proportional to velocity.
Meowy
Hi, so after doing some calculus for projectile motion with air resistance, I obtained two equations of vx(t) and vy(t) that describes the vertical and horizontal motion of the projectile.

Please tell me if I'm wrong, but I believe since both vx and vy are functions of t, can't they be parametrized? This meaning I can graph them as parametric equations and for each moment in time, there's a specific (x,y) coordinate that describes where the projectile is?

I want to know that if this method is valid and whether I can somehow show the (x,y) values given t=? on a graph. If anyone is kind enough to tell me if there's another way to connect them, that would be great as well! Thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Meowy said:
Hi, so after doing some calculus for projectile motion with air resistance, I obtained two equations of vx(t) and vy(t) that describes the vertical and horizontal motion of the projectile.

Please tell me if I'm wrong, but I believe since both vx and vy are functions of t, can't they be parametrized?
All equations can be parametrized - in this case they are parametrized wrt time t. But it does mean you can plot vy vs vx.

This meaning I can graph them as parametric equations and for each moment in time, there's a specific (x,y) coordinate that describes where the projectile is?
You'd have to solve the vx and vy equations to get x(t) and y(t) to do that. But, having done that, you can certainly plot y vs x if you want to.

I want to know that if this method is valid and whether I can somehow show the (x,y) values given t=? on a graph. If anyone is kind enough to tell me if there's another way to connect them, that would be great as well! Thanks.
Whether the method is "valid" depends on what you want to know.

The path traced out by (x(t),y(t)) is called the "trajectory", and it is a reasonable thing to want to find out about. You have probably already seen this done for ballistic motion without air resistance - the trajectory is a parabola.

Note: I tried doing this with Newtonian gravity not too long ago (such that acceleration is a function of height according to inverse square law), and it turned into an intractable second-order differential equation that could only be numerically solved.

I think your case is simple enough to do though; if you already have vx(t) and vy(t) solved, you can integrate each to find x(t) and y(t) respectively. Once that's done, use your favorite graphing software: MATLAB if you want something professional, or maybe Winplot if you want to easily animate the trajectory.

EDIT: For the last three hours, I've been trying to find a closed solution for height based on constant gravitational acceleration (9.81) and a simplified drag model where acceleration due to drag is (1/10)v^2 opposite the current direction of velocity.

The trouble is 'opposite the current direction'... The square factor deletes all knowledge of velocity direction from the equation, and trying to use sign(v) in the differential equation leads to being unable to find a closed solution for v.

Only method I see are two solutions: One equation for the ascending part of the trajectory, and another for the descending part.

Meowy, based on this nastiness I've run into, I deduce that you're using an even simpler drag model - probably where the deceleration due to drag is directly proportional to velocity. Am I right?

Last edited:

1. What are parametric equations?

Parametric equations are a set of equations that are used to define a curve or surface in terms of one or more independent variables, known as parameters. These equations are commonly used in mathematics, physics, and engineering to represent complex shapes or motions.

2. How do you graph parametric equations?

To graph parametric equations, you will need to plot points by assigning values to the parameters and then connect the points to form a curve or surface. Alternatively, you can use a graphing calculator or software to plot the equations and generate a graph.

3. What is the purpose of using parametric equations?

Parametric equations allow us to represent and analyze complex curves or surfaces that cannot be easily expressed using traditional equations. They also provide a more efficient and accurate way to describe motion and other dynamic phenomena.

4. How do you determine the domain and range of a parametric equation?

The domain and range of a parametric equation depend on the values of the parameters. To determine the domain, you will need to find the range of values that the parameters can take. The range can be determined by plotting the equations or by analyzing the behavior of the equations as the parameters change.

5. Can parametric equations be graphed in three dimensions?

Yes, parametric equations can be graphed in three dimensions by using three parameters instead of two. This allows us to represent and visualize more complex shapes and surfaces in three-dimensional space.