Graphing mean, absolute uncertainity, etc

In summary, the forum member is looking for suggestions on creating a chart to represent their physics lab data, which includes values such as mean, deviation, standard deviation, absolute uncertainty, and percentile uncertainty. Some possible chart options include a box and whisker plot, scatter plot with error bars, and a bar chart. The best chart will depend on the specific data and desired representation.
iamhumble
Hi --

This is a little off topic but I will still ask anyways. I did a lab for physics where I had to calculate the following values from data which I capture:

- mean
- deviation of each value from the mean
- mean of the deviations
- standard deviation
- standard deviation of the mean
- absolute uncertainty
- fractional uncertainty
- percentile uncertainty

I want to represent all this graphically. Does everyone have any suggestions on what type of chart I should create? I am thinking of graphing the raw data and on the chart draw a line for the mean and such.

Any suggestions?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org

It sounds like you have completed a comprehensive analysis of your data and are now looking for a way to represent it graphically. There are several options for creating a chart that can effectively display all the values you have calculated. Here are a few suggestions:

1. Box and whisker plot: This type of plot allows you to display the mean, standard deviation, and percentile uncertainty in a visually appealing way. The box represents the middle 50% of your data, with the line inside representing the mean. The whiskers extend to the highest and lowest values, and the percentile uncertainty can be shown as a shaded area on the plot.

2. Scatter plot with error bars: A scatter plot can show the raw data points and the mean can be represented as a line. You can also add error bars to each data point, with the length of the error bar indicating the standard deviation. This will give a visual representation of the deviation of each value from the mean.

3. Bar chart: A bar chart can also be used to display the mean and standard deviation. You can create a bar for the mean and add error bars to show the standard deviation. This type of chart can also be used to show the mean of the deviations and the standard deviation of the mean as separate bars.

Ultimately, the type of chart you choose will depend on the specific data you have collected and how you want to present it. I would suggest experimenting with different types of charts to see which one best represents your data and conveys your findings clearly. I hope this helps!

Hi there,

Graphing mean, absolute uncertainty, and other statistical values can be a useful way to visually represent your data. Here are a few suggestions for types of charts you could create:

1. Scatter plot: This type of chart can show the relationship between your data points and the mean. You can plot each data point as a dot and draw a line for the mean. This can also help you visualize the spread of your data and any outliers.

2. Bar chart: A bar chart can be a good way to compare different statistical values, such as the mean, standard deviation, and absolute uncertainty. You could have a bar for each value and label them accordingly. This can help show the magnitude of each value and how they relate to each other.

3. Line graph: This type of chart can be useful for showing how the mean, standard deviation, and other values change over time or with different variables. You could plot each value as a line and label them accordingly. This can help you see any trends or patterns in your data.

Ultimately, the type of chart you choose will depend on the purpose of your presentation and what you want to convey to your audience. It may also be helpful to consult with your instructor or peers for their suggestions.

Hope this helps! Best of luck with your lab.

Related to Graphing mean, absolute uncertainity, etc

What is the purpose of graphing mean and absolute uncertainty?

Graphing mean and absolute uncertainty is a way to visually represent the data and variability in a set of measurements. It allows us to see the central value (mean) and the spread of the data (uncertainty) in a clear and concise manner.

How do you calculate mean and absolute uncertainty?

The mean is calculated by adding all of the values in a set and dividing by the number of values. Absolute uncertainty is calculated by finding the absolute difference between each value and the mean, then dividing by the number of values.

What is the difference between mean and absolute uncertainty?

The mean is the central value or average of a set of data, while absolute uncertainty is a measure of the spread or variability of the data. In other words, the mean gives us an idea of the typical value, while absolute uncertainty tells us how much the data deviates from the mean.

How is mean and absolute uncertainty used in scientific research?

In scientific research, mean and absolute uncertainty are important for analyzing and interpreting data. They allow us to determine the accuracy and precision of our measurements, which is crucial for drawing conclusions and making predictions.

What are some common sources of uncertainty in measurements?

Some common sources of uncertainty in measurements include human error, equipment limitations, and natural variations in the environment. It is important to identify and account for these sources of uncertainty when graphing mean and absolute uncertainty in order to ensure the accuracy and reliability of the data.