Graphing nuclear stuff for lab

In summary, the conversation discusses creating a secondary graph to graphically determine the decay constant for the observed nuclear decay of 137Ba*, with the use of an equation and a linearized graph. However, there is confusion about what is meant by a "secondary graph" and how it will help in determining the decay constant.
Ritzycat

Homework Statement

Create a secondary graph that allows you to graphically determine the decay constant, k, for the observed nucklear decay of 137Ba*.

Homework Equations

0.693/k = half life
Something with an LN in it

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea what it means by "secondary graph". I have absolutely no guidance on what the "secondary graph" is. My first graph was radiation counts vs time, but now it wants this elusive "secondary graph" that will supposedly help me to "graphically determine the decay constant".

I made a linearized graph, if that means anything, by taking LN of the Y axis (radiation counts). I don't see how this helps me though.

Note that in this lab, 137Ba* is decaying to 137Ba through photon emission (gamma radiation)

Attachments

• upload_2014-11-26_8-16-58.png
    upload_2014-11-26_8-16-58.png
    2.8 KB · Views: 445
Physics news on Phys.org
Ritzycat said:
I made a linearized graph, if that means anything, by taking LN of the Y axis (radiation counts).
I guess this is meant by "secondary graph" (where the "primary graph" was the linear scale).

Ritzycat said:
I don't see how this helps me though.
You have an equation there for your fit. Attach units to it and after some algebra you get your lifetime out of it.

Related to Graphing nuclear stuff for lab

What is the purpose of graphing nuclear data for a lab?

The purpose of graphing nuclear data for a lab is to visually represent the relationships between different variables in a nuclear experiment. This allows for easier analysis and interpretation of the data collected.

What are the most common types of graphs used in nuclear labs?

The most common types of graphs used in nuclear labs are line graphs, bar graphs, and scatter plots. Line graphs are used to show how one variable changes over time, bar graphs are used to compare different categories of data, and scatter plots are used to show the relationship between two variables.

How do you determine the appropriate scale for a nuclear graph?

The appropriate scale for a nuclear graph should be determined based on the range of values for each variable. It is important to choose a scale that allows for all the data points to be clearly visible and evenly spaced on the graph.

What information should be included in the labels and titles of a nuclear graph?

The labels on a nuclear graph should include the variable being measured and the unit of measurement. The title of the graph should clearly describe the purpose and scope of the experiment.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when graphing nuclear data for a lab?

Some common mistakes to avoid when graphing nuclear data for a lab include not labeling the axes, using an inappropriate scale, and not clearly stating the purpose of the graph. It is also important to avoid misleading or incorrect representations of the data, such as using a non-linear scale or stretching the axes to exaggerate differences.