Graphing results of performance test and finding area under curve

In summary: F=[(torque*Drive ratio*gear ratio*primary drive)/(tire radius)]V=[(rpm*tire radius*2pi)/(Drive ratio*Gear ratio*primary drive*60)]F'=[weight/g]*[1/F]These equations work perfectly to calculate the time it takes for a motorcycle to reach a certain speed. You can use them to calculate the time it takes for a motorcycle to reach any speed within the RPM range that the engine is able to operate.
dirtboi22
Problem statement, I am calculating the time it takes for my motorcycle to reach 55 miles per hour, through its engine Horsepower, Torque, transmission gearing, and sprocket gearing.(chain driven)

I am using the equations:
F=[mass/g]*[dV/dt]
dt=[mass/g]*[dV/F]
t=∫[mass/g]*[dV/F]

F=[(torque*Drive ratio*gear ratio*primary drive)/(tire radius)]
V=[(RPM*tire radius*2pi)/(Drive ratio*Gear ratio*primary drive*60)]
F'=[mass/g]*[1/F]

Using these equations I plan to graph Force Inverse, F', vs Velocity. With this graph I will find the area under curve from 0 to 55mph. which should be Time?
I am using the rpm range of the engine, 2000-9000, and I am find F,F', and V for all gears of transmission, 1-5.
Does this look correct, equation wise?
I recently met with my Calculus II teacher and he said it did not look correct. Any help would be great, I am a mechanical engineering student and I am very curious. I know this is an in depth question, I am simply asking if my equations look correct and if graphing Force Inverse vs. Velocity will be correct in finding area under curve, time. Thank you, I can add additional info if needed!

Physics news on Phys.org
What is mass / g supposed to represent? After all, F = m * a

SteamKing, Mass/g is mass over gravity, It represents the weight of the entire machine on the the driving wheel, being that the driving wheel is the cause of acceleration? However Maybe this is not needed. This equation is actually the reason I posted this question, I am not sure if F=[m/g]*[dv/dt] is correct or applicable to the problem..

I had spoke to one of my school advisers, who actually gave me this equation. It was very short and I honestly felt like they really didn't care. I had used this equation and graphed force inverse vs velocity, and the area under the graph had actually represented a fairly accurate time for the machine to reach 55mph. However I have began to think it is wrong, being that my teacher said it made no sense. If I was looking to find the time it takes for my motorcycle to reach a certain velocity what would I need to graph, so in which the area under the curve equals time?

If you are using the weight of the motorcycle, use w to represent the weight, rather than m, which usually stands for the mass. w/g = m.

SteamKing said:
If you are using the weight of the motorcycle, use w to represent the weight, rather than m, which usually stands for the mass. w/g = m.
You are most definitely correct! I apologize, with it meaning weight and not mass, do my equations look correct?

Just to clarify for everyone, I am using the equations:
F=[weight/g]*[dV/dt]
dt=[weight/g]*[dV/F]
t=∫[weight/g]*[dV/F]

1. What is the purpose of graphing results of performance test and finding area under curve?

The purpose of graphing results of performance test and finding area under curve is to visually represent the data collected from a performance test and determine the overall performance of the system or process being tested. The area under the curve can provide valuable insights into the efficiency and effectiveness of the system or process.

2. How is the area under the curve calculated?

The area under the curve is calculated by dividing the graph into small rectangles, finding the area of each rectangle, and then summing up all the areas to get the total area under the curve. This can be done manually or using software tools such as Excel or MATLAB.

3. What does the shape of the curve indicate about the performance?

The shape of the curve can indicate the overall performance of the system or process being tested. A steep incline in the curve indicates a rapid increase in performance, while a flat or declining curve may indicate a decrease in performance. A smooth and consistent curve generally indicates a stable and efficient performance.

4. Are there any limitations to using area under the curve as a performance metric?

Yes, there are some limitations to using area under the curve as a performance metric. It may not provide a complete picture of the performance and may overlook certain important aspects. Also, the interpretation of the results may vary based on the type of data and the specific context of the performance test.

5. How can the results of graphing and finding area under curve be used to improve performance?

The results of graphing and finding area under curve can be used to identify areas of improvement and make informed decisions for optimizing the performance. By analyzing the data and identifying patterns or trends, necessary changes and adjustments can be made to enhance the performance of the system or process.