Graphing the superposition of three waves

In summary, The conversation discusses how to graph the complex sound wave produced by a singer singing F# with two overtones of different frequencies and amplitudes. The equation for the fundamental frequency is given as y(x,t) = Asin(kx-wt), while the overtones have the form Asinwt, 1/2Asin(740)t, and 1/3Asin(1110)t. The values for the time are given on the x-axis and the equation can be graphed by substituting the values for time.
Jettaisthebes
Hello, I have no idea how to do this problem! I have solved all my homework problems except this one can someone please help!

Suppose a singer singing F# (370 , the fundamental frequency) has one overtone of frequency 740 with half the amplitude of the fundamental and another overtone of frequency 1110 having one-third the amplitude of the fundamental.Graph the superposition of these three waves to show the complex sound wave produced by this singer.

They give us a graph like with the y-axis titled displacement and the points range from 1.4 to -1.4. From 0.0 to 0.2 to 0.4 to 0.6...1.4. On the x-axis they have it labeled as t,X 10^-3s and only display the right side so they positive part of the x-axis with points 0.2 to 2.6. \

PLEASE HELP! THANK YOU.. MUCH APPRECIATED..

Physics news on Phys.org
let us suppose it is a sin wave.

Try writing down the equation for the fundamental.

My next step will then follow your post.

for fundamental do you mean this equation.. y(x,t)=Asin(kx-wt)

We can just use y(t) = Asinwt or y = Asin(2pift).

Now try adding to the above the next two overtones.

well have the amplitude isn't is 1/2Asinwt and then 1/3Asinwt??

Jettaisthebes said:
well have the amplitude isn't is 1/2Asinwt and then 1/3Asinwt??

But the w is only for the fundamental. The overtones have a different w.

so, for the first overtone we have Asinwt for the second 1/2Asin(740)t and for the third we have 1/3Asin(1110)t.. also since 370 is the fundamental frequency can we write Asin(370)t?

Is 370 in Hz?

Well according to the problem they say the frequency.. so I'm assuming there all in Hertz.

Jettaisthebes said:
so, for the first overtone we have Asinwt for the second 1/2Asin(740)t and for the third we have 1/3Asin(1110)t.. also since 370 is the fundamental frequency can we write Asin(370)t?

But [itex]\omega[/itex] is not 370 because [itex]\omega[/itex] = 2[itex]\pi[/itex]f.

Hence instead of [itex]\omega[/itex]t write 2[itex]\pi[/itex]ft.

hmmmm.. I know we can use either or but.. this should be this way: y=Asin(2pift) where y=Asin(2pi(370)t) ... etc.. y=Asin(2pi(740)t).. etc y= Asin(2pi(1110)t)

Just add all three terms but do not forget to make the first overtone with (1/2)A and the next overtone with (1/3)A. Then substitute the values for the time required for the graph.

okay so I will have Y=Asin2pi(370)t + 1/2Asin2pi(740)t + 1/3Asin2pi(1110)t will give me the graph.. but the values for time aren't given so can I assume 1s,2s, and 3s??

[itex]^{}[/itex]
On the x-axis they have it labeled as t said:
The x-axis is really a time-axis and the values for the time are given. Do not forget the 10[itex]^{-3}[/itex]

Okay so I just substitute 10^-3 s to each t in the equation above.. ?? Sorry graphing is not quite my expertise..

JOn the x-axis they have it labeled as t said:
t-values:

0.2 x 10[itex]^{-3}[/itex]s

0.4 x 10[itex]^{-3}[/itex]s

.. .. .. ..

2.6 x 10[itex]^{-3}[/itex]s

Related to Graphing the superposition of three waves

1. What is the purpose of graphing the superposition of three waves?

The purpose of graphing the superposition of three waves is to visually represent the combined effect of three individual waves. This allows us to better understand the overall behavior and characteristics of the waves.

2. How do you graph the superposition of three waves?

To graph the superposition of three waves, you first plot each individual wave on the same coordinate system. Then, add the amplitudes of the waves at each point and plot the resulting amplitude. This will show the combined effect of the three waves.

3. What is the difference between constructive and destructive interference in the superposition of three waves?

Constructive interference occurs when the combined amplitude of the three waves is greater than the individual amplitudes, resulting in a higher overall amplitude. Destructive interference occurs when the combined amplitude is less than the individual amplitudes, resulting in a lower overall amplitude.

4. How does the frequency and wavelength of the individual waves affect the superposition graph?

The frequency and wavelength of the individual waves can affect the overall shape and amplitude of the superposition graph. If the waves have similar frequencies and wavelengths, they will combine to form a larger amplitude. If the waves have different frequencies and wavelengths, they may lead to interference patterns or cancel each other out.

5. Can the superposition of three waves result in a wave with a frequency that is different from the individual waves?

Yes, the superposition of three waves can result in a wave with a frequency that is different from the individual waves. This is known as beat frequency, where the resulting wave has a frequency equal to the difference in frequency between the two waves. This can be observed when two waves with slightly different frequencies interfere with each other.