Graphing to find the intersections of lines and a parabola in this limit

In summary: Let P(k,k^2) be a point on the parabola y=x^2 with k>0.The equation of the parabola is y=x^2.The equation of the parabola can be solved for P(k,k^2) using the Quadratic Formula.The Quadratic Formula states that:P(k,k^2)=-k^2P(k-1,k-1^2)orP(k,k^2)=-k^2(x-a)
Jalal_khan
Homework Statement
I am doing this for fun.
Relevant Equations
Linear equations, cubic models and etc
Hello, I am currently in my college holidays and I have decided to do some maths to improve. My weakness is graphing and I am hoping to get some help or the solution on this question.

Question:

Let P(k,k^2) be a point on the parabola y=x^2 with k>0.
Let O denote the origin.
Let A(0, a)denote the y-intercept of the perpendicular bisector of the segment OP.

What is the limit of a as P approaches O?

Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_E2168.JPG
    IMG_E2168.JPG
    11.8 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_E2167.JPG
    IMG_E2167.JPG
    28.7 KB · Views: 139
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You need to write a formula that expresses the y intercept Y (distance AO) in terms of k. Then the answer will be the limit of that formula as ##k\to 0##.

To write a formula, you'll need to do a bit of geometry and trigonometry. Draw the point X where the bisector AM hits the x axis. Label as ##\theta## the angle ##\angle MOX##, and write as many other angles in the diagram as you can in terms of ##\theta##. Label as many line segments as you can in terms of ##k##.
Then try to use trigonometry to express ##\theta## in terms of ##k##.

If you haven't learned trig, you can instead try using Pythagoras's theorem. It might take a little longer, but you'd get there.

From there you should be able to express AO in terms of ##\theta ## and ##k##, and hence in terms of ##k## alone.

Then take the limit and you're finished!

Jalal_khan said:
Homework Statement:: I am doing this for fun.
Relevant Equations:: Linear equations, cubic models and etc

Hello, I am currently in my college holidays and I have decided to do some maths to improve. My weakness is graphing and I am hoping to get some help or the solution on this question.

Question:

Let P(k,k^2) be a point on the parabola y=x^2 with k>0.
Let O denote the origin.
Let A(0, a)denote the y-intercept of the perpendicular bisector of the segment OP.

What is the limit of a as P approaches O?

Thank you!
Hello @Jalal_khan .
:welcome:
Here at PF (Physics Forums), you need to show an attempt at a solution. In your case, I suppose that the image you provided will do.
img_e2167-jpg.jpg

If you are trying to do this problem purely by drawing a graph using pencil, paper and a ruler, you need to use the same scale factor for both axes, otherwise it's virtually impossible to draw perpendicular lines. That's also true if you are using a graphing program/app.

Otherwise:
You don't need to use trigonometry. You can use algebra and knowledge of slope of a line and how slopes are related for pairs of perpendicular lines.

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of graphing to find the intersections of lines and a parabola in this limit?

The purpose of graphing to find the intersections of lines and a parabola in this limit is to visually determine the point(s) where the lines and the parabola intersect. This can help in solving equations and understanding the behavior of the functions involved.

2. How do I graph lines and a parabola in this limit?

To graph lines and a parabola in this limit, you will need to plot the equations of the lines and the parabola on the same coordinate plane. Then, you can use the graph to find the point(s) of intersection by looking for the point(s) where the lines and the parabola intersect.

3. What is the significance of finding the intersections of lines and a parabola in this limit?

Finding the intersections of lines and a parabola in this limit can provide valuable information about the behavior of the functions involved. It can help in solving equations and understanding the relationship between the lines and the parabola.

4. Can I use any method other than graphing to find the intersections of lines and a parabola in this limit?

Yes, there are other methods such as algebraic methods and numerical methods (e.g. using a graphing calculator) that can be used to find the intersections of lines and a parabola in this limit. However, graphing can provide a visual representation that can aid in understanding the concept.

5. Is it possible for there to be more than one point of intersection between lines and a parabola in this limit?

Yes, it is possible for there to be more than one point of intersection between lines and a parabola in this limit. This can occur when the lines and the parabola intersect at multiple points on the coordinate plane.