Gravitation(angular deflection of a planet from a massive star)

In summary, the conversation discusses the method for calculating the angular deflection of a planet that comes close to a massive star without colliding. The suggested approach is to use the angular momentum principle and consider the planets and stars as perfectly spherical objects. The conversation also suggests using the Kepler problem as a reference for calculating the "orbital" parameters in such a scenario.
ErwinMoses
i was just thinking , a planet comes close to a very massive star but doesn't collide .how can i calculate the its angular deflection.?

i can calculate the velocity afterwards the deflection(given the initial and final perpendicular distances of its course from center of the star) using angular momentum principle,but how can i predict the behavior of the planet during such an event?

i am considering the planets and stars to perfectly spherical.
no idea how to start.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can calculate the "orbital" parameters (even if it is not a proper orbit). The motion is a solution of the Kepler problem (=google keyword).

thanks.

Related to Gravitation(angular deflection of a planet from a massive star)

1. What is gravitation?

Gravitation is the natural phenomenon by which all objects with mass are brought together, including planets, stars, and galaxies. It is one of the four fundamental forces of nature, along with electromagnetism, strong nuclear force, and weak nuclear force.

2. How does gravitation affect the movement of planets?

Gravitation causes planets to orbit around a central star in elliptical paths. The strength of the gravitational force between a planet and a star is determined by the mass of the two objects and the distance between them. The greater the mass and the closer the distance, the stronger the gravitational force.

3. What is the angular deflection of a planet from a massive star?

The angular deflection of a planet from a massive star is the amount of curvature or bending that occurs in the planet's orbit due to the gravitational force of the star. This deflection is responsible for the changing seasons and the tides on Earth.

4. How is the angular deflection of a planet calculated?

The angular deflection of a planet can be calculated using the equation α = (2GM)/(rc²), where α is the angular deflection, G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the star, r is the distance between the planet and the star, and c is the speed of light.

5. What are some applications of the study of gravitation?

The study of gravitation has many practical applications, such as space travel, satellite communication, and GPS technology. It also helps us understand the motion of celestial bodies, the formation of galaxies, and the behavior of black holes.