Gravitation in N+1 Dimensional Flat Space

In summary: It's a different way of writing the coordinate system, but it's the same coordinate system. It is NOT necessary to embed an n-dimensional sphere into an n+1-dimensional flat space to describe constant curvature.
ophase
We very well know how to calculate curvature in gravitation. But this time i just need a physical explanation to this question on my mind:

"In order to describe n dimensional space with constant curvature why do we need to go to n+1 dimensional flat space? Why don't we use just n-dimensional spherical coordinates instead?"

I know this is about the curvatures of hypersurfaces and every hypersurface is an n-dimensional manifold embedded in an n+1 dimensional space. So there may be some mathematical difficulties in calculation. But isn't there any other methods to describe n dimensional space with constant curvature?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What kind of curvature are you talking about? You have to be specific in this case. For example, the notion of constant sectional curvature makes perfect sense for riemannian manifolds, with no need for ambiance. Constant sectional curvature is what leads to the three possible cases: hyperbolic geometry, elliptic geometry, and euclidean geometry. Do Carmo's text on Riemannian Geometry has an entire chapter on this.

"In order to describe n dimensional space with constant curvature why do we need to go to n+1 dimensional flat space? Why don't we use just n-dimensional spherical coordinates instead?"
See the Wikipedia page "n-sphere", which gives spherical polar coordinates and also stereographic coordinates for the n-sphere.

ophase said:
"In order to describe n dimensional space with constant curvature why do we need to go to n+1 dimensional flat space?
We don't. Flat space is different from a space with constant curvature (unless the curvature happens to be zero).

ophase said:
Why don't we use just n-dimensional spherical coordinates instead?"
Curvature is coordinate-independent. Changing from one set of coordinates to some other set of coordinates doesn't make zero curvature become nonzero, or vice versa.

ophase said:
I know this is about the curvatures of hypersurfaces[...]
No, it isn't.

ophase said:
We very well know how to calculate curvature in gravitation. But this time i just need a physical explanation to this question on my mind:

I know this is about the curvatures of hypersurfaces and every hypersurface is an n-dimensional manifold embedded in an n+1 dimensional space. So there may be some mathematical difficulties in calculation. But isn't there any other methods to describe n dimensional space with constant curvature?

It's easy to envision a 2D curved space immersed in a 3D flat space. Just think of spherical surface or a saddle surface in 3D flat space. In describing gravity, 4D spacetime is curved, and, conceptually, it is simple to imagine (in an analogous way) 4D spacetime immersed in a 5D flat manifold. This simplifies ones visualization of what is happening geometrically, but it is not really necessary for arriving at the correct mathematical formalism for describing gravity and the curvature of spacetime.

In other words, I am wondering about why we need to embed an n dimensional sphere to n+1 dimensional flat space, in order to derive the metric? If the reason is really a simplified mathematical formalism, i can say that it is not getting easier at all by this way.
WannabeNewton said:
What kind of curvature are you talking about? You have to be specific in this case. For example, the notion of constant sectional curvature makes perfect sense for riemannian manifolds, with no need for ambiance. Constant sectional curvature is what leads to the three possible cases: hyperbolic geometry, elliptic geometry, and euclidean geometry. Do Carmo's text on Riemannian Geometry has an entire chapter on this.

Last edited:
In other words, I am wondering about why we need to embed an n dimensional sphere to n+1 dimensional flat space, in order to derive the metric? If the reason is really a simplified mathematical formalism, i can say that it is not getting easier at all by this way.
As we've said repeatedly, it is NOT necessary. Did you check out the stereographic coordinates on the "n-sphere" Wikipedia page, like I suggested?

Related to Gravitation in N+1 Dimensional Flat Space

1. What is "gravitation in N+1 dimensional flat space"?

"Gravitation in N+1 dimensional flat space" refers to the study of gravitational forces in a space that has N spatial dimensions and one time dimension. This theory is an extension of the more well-known theory of gravitation in three-dimensional space, also known as Newtonian gravitation.

2. How does gravitation in N+1 dimensional flat space differ from our everyday experience of gravity?

In everyday life, we experience gravity as a force between objects in three-dimensional space. In N+1 dimensional flat space, the gravitational force is still present, but it is described by a different mathematical model that takes into account the additional spatial dimensions.

3. What is the significance of studying gravitation in N+1 dimensional flat space?

Studying gravitation in N+1 dimensional flat space can help us better understand the nature of gravity and its effects on objects in higher-dimensional spaces. It can also provide insights into other areas of physics, such as string theory and quantum gravity.

4. Are there any practical applications of this theory?

While the study of gravitation in N+1 dimensional flat space is largely theoretical, it has potential applications in fields such as astrophysics and cosmology. It may also have implications for future technologies, such as space travel and advanced propulsion systems.

5. How is gravitation in N+1 dimensional flat space currently being researched?

Scientists use mathematical models and simulations to study gravitation in N+1 dimensional flat space. They also conduct experiments and observations to test the predictions of this theory and gather evidence to support its validity.