Gravitational acceleration magnitude - confused

help6
Homework Statement
Let g be the magnitude of the gravitational acceleration at the surface of a perfectly spherical planet with mass M, radius R, and uniform density. What is the magnitude of gravitational acceleration at a distance R/4 from the center of the planet.
Relevant Equations
I figured the relevant equation would be g=(GM)/r^2
The given answer is g/4. But when I substituted R/4 into the radius, I get 16GM. Am I just using the wrong equation altogether? He also said that you also got g/4 if the distance was 2R.

Physics news on Phys.org
Google "shell theorem".

Likes Tomy World
Ibix said:
Google "shell theorem".
I'm sorry, I understand shell theorem, but I still don't get why r/4 and 2r (which is also from the center of the planet) have the same gravitational acceleration. Can you please expound?

If you understand the shell theorem you know how to calculate the gravitational acceleration at ##R/4## and you know how to calculate it at ##2R## (note that if you are using ##r## for a radial coordinate it is unwise to also use it for the fixed radius of your sphere - so I am using ##R## for the latter).

Why are they equal? If gravitational acceleration is a maximum at ##r=R## and goes smoothly to zero at ##r=0## and ##r\rightarrow\infty## then there has to be somewhere outside the sphere where the acceleration is equal to any given point inside.

Put differently, the M in your relevant equation is the total mass inside of the radius R. Outside of the planet this is always the total mass of the planet but not so inside.

Likes PeroK

1. What is gravitational acceleration magnitude?

Gravitational acceleration magnitude is the rate at which an object falls towards the Earth due to the force of gravity. It is typically denoted as "g" and has a standard value of 9.8 meters per second squared.

2. How is gravitational acceleration magnitude calculated?

To calculate gravitational acceleration magnitude, you can use the formula g = G * (m / r^2), where G is the universal gravitational constant, m is the mass of the larger object, and r is the distance between the two objects.

3. Why is there confusion surrounding gravitational acceleration magnitude?

There may be confusion surrounding gravitational acceleration magnitude because it is often referred to as simply "gravity" and its value can vary slightly depending on location and altitude.

4. How does gravitational acceleration magnitude affect objects on Earth?

Gravitational acceleration magnitude affects objects on Earth by pulling them towards the ground. This force is what gives objects weight and determines how quickly they will fall towards the Earth.

5. Is gravitational acceleration magnitude the same everywhere in the universe?

No, gravitational acceleration magnitude can vary depending on the mass and distance of objects in a particular location. It can also be affected by factors such as rotation and tidal forces.