Gravitational field strength at a point

In summary: Pretty neat!In summary, the gravitational field strength at a point 6.38x106 m above the Earth's surface can be calculated by using the equation F = (Gm)/r^2 and plugging in the known variables, which are G= 6.67x10-11, M= 5.98x1024, and r= 6.38x106. By recognizing that the given point is twice the Earth's radius, we can easily calculate the field strength as 2.449 m/s2, which is 4 times less than the acceleration on the Earth's surface. This can also be seen by halving the radius and seeing that the force of gravity increases by 4x.
Zack K

Homework Statement

What is the gravitational field strength at a point 6.38x106 m above the Earth's surface?

Homework Equations

r%5E2.gif

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok so I plug in all the known variables. G= 6.67x10-11. M= 5.98x1024. r= 6.38x106 and so I multiply that by 2 because the given point is the exact same number as r. Then I powered by two. I calculate both top an bottom of the equation to get g= 39.8866x1013/162.8176x1012. For the answer I get a field strength of 2.449 m/s2. But the answer says that it is 0.622 m/s2.

Edit. I was looking at a wrong answer. You got to love my brain sometimes!

Physics news on Phys.org
There is an easy way to do this if you recognize what 6,380 km above the surface is in terms of the Earth radii!

AM

Andrew Mason said:
There is an easy way to do this if you recognize what 6,380 km above the surface is in terms of the Earth radii!

AM
Isn't 6,380 km above the surface just twice the radius of Earth?

Zack K said:
Isn't 6,380 km above the surface just twice the radius of Earth?
Right. So how should acceleration due to gravity there compare to the acceleration on the surface?

AM

Andrew Mason said:
Right. So how should acceleration due to gravity there compare to the acceleration on the surface?

AM
Oh I see. So it would approximately be the square root of 9.8?

Zack K said:
Oh I see. So it would approximately be the square root of 9.8?
? Gravitational force and Gravitational force/unit mass (acceleration) is proportional 1/R2 so if R doubles from the surface, what happens to acceleration (ie. compared to acceleration at the surface, which is 9.8 m/sec2)?

AM

Zack K said:
the square root of 9.8?
This illustrates a benefit of always including units. In this case, the square root of 9.8m/s2 would be about ##3.1m^{\frac 12}s^{-1}##. Hmm.. I wonder what the square root of a metre looks like.

Likes Biker
Andrew Mason said:
? Gravitational force and Gravitational force/unit mass (acceleration) is proportional 1/R2 so if R doubles from the surface, what happens to acceleration (ie. compared to acceleration at the surface, which is 9.8 m/sec2)?

AM
Andrew Mason said:

AM
It would diminish by 4x?

Zack K said:
It would diminish by 4x?
Correct. Work that out and compare that to your answer.

AM

Andrew Mason said:
Correct. Work that out and compare that to your answer.

AM
I actually figured this out when I had my test today it was one of the questions. I just put in some random masses and radius in the equation and saw that if you half the radius then the force of gravity increases by 4x.

1. What is the definition of gravitational field strength at a point?

The gravitational field strength at a point is a measure of the force per unit mass experienced by a small test mass placed at that point in the gravitational field.

2. How is gravitational field strength at a point calculated?

The gravitational field strength at a point is calculated by dividing the force of gravity acting on a small test mass at that point by the mass of the test mass. This can be expressed mathematically as g = F/m, where g is the gravitational field strength, F is the force of gravity, and m is the mass of the test mass.

3. How does the distance from a massive object affect the gravitational field strength at a point?

The gravitational field strength at a point is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the massive object. This means that as the distance from the object increases, the gravitational field strength decreases.

4. What is the unit of measurement for gravitational field strength?

The unit of measurement for gravitational field strength is newtons per kilogram (N/kg) in the SI (International System of Units) system.

5. How does the mass of a massive object affect the gravitational field strength at a point?

The gravitational field strength at a point is directly proportional to the mass of the massive object. This means that as the mass of the object increases, the gravitational field strength also increases.