Gravitational force of the Sun and Earth

In summary, the conversation discussed the distance and mass of the Earth and sun, as well as the gravitational force between them. The main question was to determine the distance from the center of the Earth to a point where the gravitational forces of the Earth and sun cancel out. This can be solved using the equation F=(G*m1*m2)/R^2, where R is the distance between the two bodies. By setting this equation equal to itself and solving for R, the distance can be found.
tfugger

Homework Statement

Earth orbits around the sun at roughly 1.5x1011 m. Mass of Earth is 6x1024 kg. Mass of sun is 1.98892x1030 kg.

There is a point between the sun and the Earth at which the gravitational force by the sun equals that of Earth and the forces cancel each other out. How far is this point from the center of the earth? You will get a quadratic equation.

Homework Equations

I know the force between two bodies is calculated using F=(G*m1*m2)/R2

The Attempt at a Solution

Based on the above equation, I thought that this problem would be solved by setting that equation equal to itself. Basically F=F but with the R on the right side as an unknown, then solve for that R. but obviously this results in everything else cancelling out and the R I am left with is equal to the distance between the sun and the Earth (1.5x1011 m).
So I'm confused, I'm not sure what to do...

Physics news on Phys.org
This is an exercise in algebra more than anything else.
This magical point is at a distance R from the centre of the Earth and therefore at a distance of 1.5 x 10^11 - R from the centre of the sun.
Stick these in as your r^2 distances in the equation and you will get an equation that can be solved !

Last edited:
thank you very much. so does this mean my equation would be F=(G*m1*m2)/(1.5x1011 - R2) ? or is it [(G*m1*m2)/R2] = [(G*m1*m2)/(1.5x1011 - R2)

i having trouble figuring this out for some reason...

Related to Gravitational force of the Sun and Earth

1. What is the gravitational force of the Sun and Earth?

The gravitational force between the Sun and Earth is approximately 3.53 x 10^22 Newtons. This force is what keeps the Earth in orbit around the Sun.

2. How does the distance between the Sun and Earth affect the gravitational force?

The gravitational force between two objects is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance between the Sun and Earth increases, the force of gravity decreases.

3. What is the role of gravitational force in the solar system?

Gravitational force is essential in maintaining the stability and order of the solar system. It keeps the planets in their orbits around the Sun and also affects the behavior of other celestial bodies, such as comets and asteroids.

4. How does the gravitational force of the Sun and Earth impact tides on Earth?

The gravitational force of the Sun and Moon combined creates tidal forces on Earth. As the Earth rotates, these forces cause the ocean water to bulge out towards the Moon and Sun, creating high and low tides.

5. Can the gravitational force of the Sun and Earth change over time?

Yes, the gravitational force between two objects can change if their masses or distance changes. However, the distance between the Sun and Earth remains relatively constant, so any changes in their gravitational force would be due to changes in their masses.