Gravitational potential energy - problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of gravitational potential energy and how it relates to the distance between two masses, as well as the work done by gravitational force in moving an object from one point to another. There is some confusion about the negative sign in the force and how it relates to the gain in potential energy, but it is clarified that work is being done on the object to raise it. The conversation also touches upon the idea of ignoring gravitational potential energy while solving problems.
zinc79
Hello. I'm new. I was looking around on the web a bit to find an answer to my problem, and I came across these forums.

Gravitational force = -GMm/(r^2)

Gravitational force between a small mass (m) and the Earth (M) is zero at a distance of infinity. Any distance smaller than infinity gives a negative value. When the distance is minimum, the force is mathematically minimum but actually the largest in magnitude. When the distance is infinite, the force is mathematically largest but actually the least in magnitude.

But what is gravitational potential energy? Is it work done due to gravitational force in moving a mass from a distance (r) to an infinite distance? Is it work done due to gravitational force in moving a mass from a an infinite distance to a distance (r)? Or is it simply the work done due to gravitational force in moving the mass from one point to another?

Now, I'll deal with a case when I move a mass (m) from a distance (r1) to an infinite distance from the Earth (r2)

The gravitational potential energy, as I have learnt, is simply the integration the the gravitational force. This comes out as GMm[(1/r2) - (1/r1)]. This is where I have the problem. If the mass gains height, i.e. moves away from the earth, then r1 is small and r2 is large, and because of this the gravitational potential energy turns out negative! Isn't it supposed to be a GAIN in potential energy? Isn't the change supposed to give a positive value? If not, then why? Work is being done ON the object to raise it, right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Gravitational potential energy is the energy something has because of it's position in a graviy field. The change is simply the change from it's original position - the total GPE would be compared to it's potential at an infinite distance but that isn't usually very useful.

The negative sign in the force is beacuse it is attractive, you have to be a little careful with the sign conventiona, see-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravitational_potential_energy#Gravitational_potential_energy

zinc79 said:
The gravitational potential energy, as I have learnt, is simply the integration the the gravitational force. This comes out as GMm[(1/r2) - (1/r1)]. This is where I have the problem. If the mass gains height, i.e. moves away from the earth, then r1 is small and r2 is large, and because of this the gravitational potential energy turns out negative! Isn't it supposed to be a GAIN in potential energy? Isn't the change supposed to give a positive value? If not, then why? Work is being done ON the object to raise it, right?
Careful. To calculate the change in gravitational PE you must integrate the force needed to lift the object over the distance r1 to r2. That force is upward and equals +GMm/(r^2). So if you calculate the work done by that force, which is the work done ON the object, you'll find that the change in gravitational PE in raising a mass will be positive, as you suspect.

I get you Doc Al, but wikipedia says that "Gravitational potential energy is the work of gravitational force", and well, it is a popular source... I'm still confused...

I wouldn't lean too heavily upon wiki as a source. Don't you have a textbook? Here's a reliable discussion of gravitational PE: Gravitational Potential Energy.

zinc79 said:
But what is gravitational potential energy? Is it work done due to gravitational force in moving a mass from a distance (r) to an infinite distance? Is it work done due to gravitational force in moving a mass from a an infinite distance to a distance (r)? Or is it simply the work done due to gravitational force in moving the mass from one point to another?

from my personal expierence it's all just nonsense. It really doesn't mean anything. Because they analyze lot of problems with gravitational force in them, so they name the work done by gravitational force "gravitional potential enery".

Yes, it is work done due to gravitational force while moving an object from A to B.

Edit: While solving your problems, ignoring gravitational potential energy may help you (it always helped me!)

zinc79 said:
because of this the gravitational potential energy turns out negative! Isn't it supposed to be a GAIN in potential energy? Isn't the change supposed to give a positive value? If not, then why? Work is being done ON the object to raise it, right?

oops, i missed this part :redface:

see the potential curve well( that would explain why it's more negative)

Yes, work is being done on the object to raise it,
but assuming that the object had some initial v at the start,
then after reaching the height the v would be reduced..

and so the system is losing its kinetic energy..

Related to Gravitational potential energy - problem

1. What is gravitational potential energy?

Gravitational potential energy is the energy an object possesses due to its position in a gravitational field. It is the energy that is required to move the object from its current position to a reference point, usually at infinity.

2. How is gravitational potential energy calculated?

The formula for gravitational potential energy is PE = mgh, where m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the object above the reference point. This formula assumes a constant gravitational field and that the object is near the surface of the Earth.

3. What is the relationship between gravitational potential energy and mass?

The gravitational potential energy of an object is directly proportional to its mass. This means that as the mass of an object increases, its potential energy also increases.

4. How does the height of an object affect its gravitational potential energy?

The gravitational potential energy of an object is directly proportional to its height above the reference point. This means that as the height of an object increases, its potential energy also increases.

5. What happens to gravitational potential energy when an object falls?

As an object falls, its height above the reference point decreases, which means that its gravitational potential energy also decreases. This potential energy is converted into kinetic energy, which is the energy of motion.