Gravitational Potential Energy Question

In summary: Thank you!In summary, the gravitational potential energy between the Earth and a 23kg block sitting on its surface is -1,435,963,782 Joules. This value represents the amount of energy required to move the block to a location far from the Earth, taking into account the gravitational potential energy associated with the Sun-block interacting pair.
Westin

Homework Statement

[/B]
Calculate the gravitational potential energy of the interacting pair of the Earth and a 23kg block sitting on the surface of the Earth. You would need to supply the absolute value of this result to move the block to a location very far from the Earth

(actually, you would need to use even more energy than this due to the gravitational potential energy associated with the Sun-block interacting pair).

Homework Equations

U=-G(m1*m2)/r[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

G=6.67*10^(-11)
(radius of the earth)r=6.378*10^6 m
(mass of the earth)m2=5.97*10^24 kg
m1= 23 kg (as the question)

U = (6.67E-11 * 23 * 5.97E24)/6.378E6 = 1,435,963,782

This was incorrect, any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you get the right sign for the answer?

TSny said:
Did you get the right sign for the answer?

My answer came out positive, I believe it should be negative cause the question states to take the absolute value of the answer. not sure though..

Westin said:
My answer came out positive, I believe it should be negative cause the question states to take the absolute value of the answer. not sure though..
The formula for U has a negative sign in it. Didn't see a corresponding negative sign when you plugged numbers into that equation, though.

Always proofread your work.

And don't forget the units!

So to get U, i would multiply both sides by a negative, which i would get -1,435,963,782, and then I would take the absolute value of it? so Then it would be 1,435,963,782?

Westin said:
So to get U, i would multiply both sides by a negative, which i would get -1,435,963,782, and then I would take the absolute value of it? so Then it would be 1,435,963,782?
Well, your formula from the OP was

U = -G(m1*m2)/r

you apparently didn't include the negative sign in front of G in your calculation. You still need to figure out what the units of U are.

SteamKing said:
Well, your formula from the OP was

U = -G(m1*m2)/r

you apparently didn't include the negative sign in front of G in your calculation. You still need to figure out what the units of U are.

Units of U are Joules, my answer was 1,435,963,782J but that was wrong, I'm not sure where I am going wrong

Westin said:
Units of U are Joules, my answer was 1,435,963,782J but that was wrong, I'm not sure where I am going wrong

When doing the calculation, did you take into account the negative sign in the formula for U? Note that the question is asking for U. It is not asking for the the absolute value of U.

TSny said:
When doing the calculation, did you take into account the negative sign in the formula for U? Note that the question is asking for U. It is not asking for the the absolute value of U.

Yes so then I get -1,435,963,782J , I would leave it as negative then in my answer since its not asking for absolute value of U. I only have last try, could my work be double checked for errors? Thank you for the explanation.

Using the numbers you stated in the problem, I get the same answer.

I don't know whether or not you are supposed to think about significant figures here. But, in general, you would want to round your answer to an appropriate number of significant figures. I guess you are putting your answers into some program and maybe you don't need to worry about that.

Anyway, I think your answer is now correct. So, I would say go for it. (You are too far away to punch me in the nose if I am wrong.)

Westin said:

That's the answer I get. Are you leaving out something from the problem statement?

"Calculate the gravitational potential energy of the interacting pair of the Earth and a 23kg block sitting on the surface of the Earth."

I've never seen a question ask for the potential energy of an object sitting on the surface of the earth.

Nailed it!

Related to Gravitational Potential Energy Question

1. What is gravitational potential energy?

Gravitational potential energy is the energy an object possesses due to its position in a gravitational field. It is the energy that is required to lift an object from one position to another against the force of gravity.

2. How is gravitational potential energy calculated?

The equation for gravitational potential energy is PE = mgh, where m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the object above the ground.

3. Is gravitational potential energy the same as kinetic energy?

No, gravitational potential energy and kinetic energy are two different forms of energy. Gravitational potential energy is based on an object's position, while kinetic energy is based on an object's motion.

4. Can gravitational potential energy be negative?

Yes, gravitational potential energy can be negative if the object is below the reference point. In this case, the potential energy is considered to be "lost" and is converted into kinetic energy as the object falls towards the ground.

5. How does gravitational potential energy play a role in daily life?

Gravitational potential energy is involved in many activities in our daily lives, such as lifting objects, riding a rollercoaster, or climbing a hill. It is also essential in understanding the behavior of celestial bodies in space, such as planets orbiting around the sun.