Gravitational pull (revolutions)

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of revolution and the movement of objects in a vacuum. The first question is about an ant revolving around a human due to differences in mass, but it is explained that both objects would orbit around a center point called the Barycenter. The second question is about two objects of equal mass and their movement in a vacuum. The third question asks about a ratio for maximum mass of an object to still orbit around another object with a fixed mass. The conversation also includes a request for simple explanations and links for more information on gravity.
robertroman10
I am working on my own laws of physics because I am extremely bored. I am making a law or revolution (objects revolving around other objects) and thought of a few questions that hopefull you guys can help me with. Here they are...

1) In a vacuum, where the only gravitation pull is between you and another object, would an ant revolve around an average male human? I thought of this because the suns mass is 330,000 times more than Earth's, and an average human males mass is 27777777 times more than a 2 cm long ant, shouldn't the ant revolve around us in a vacuum?

2) If two objects have equall mass and in a vacuum, then would they revolve around each other or cancel each other out?

3) If number one is correct, is there a ratio for how much maximum mass a object could obtain and still revolve around another object with a fixed mass let's say... one kiligram?

* please take note when answering that I am 13 years old so the simpler the better. Also if there are any links you guys know for explaining gravity in detail (not wikipedia) that would be great also.

Thank!

Physics news on Phys.org
Actually, no matter the difference in mass between 2 objects, they both orbit around a center point between the 2 center of masses called the Barycenter. If you look at Pluto and its moon Charon, they actually both orbit a point that is ABOVE the surface of Pluto. The more extreme the mass difference, the less the more massive object moves compared to the smaller object. This is why the Earth is said to orbit around the Sun instead of the reverse. It is much more massive than the Earth and the barycenter is near to the core of the sun. For 2 objects of equal mass, they would orbit each other.

See some of the animations here. (Sorry, its on wikipedia lol.)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barycenter#Barycenter_in_astronomy

Thanks alot! and by massive do you mean size (ie surfacea area) or mass?

robertroman10 said:
Thanks alot! and by massive do you mean size (ie surfacea area) or mass?

I mean mass. A neutron star is extremely tiny compared to the earth, something like 50 kilometers in diameter, but it is thousands upon thousands of times more massive. Just depends on the composition and density of the object.

thanks!

1. What is gravitational pull?

Gravitational pull is the force of attraction between two objects due to their mass. The larger the mass of an object, the stronger its gravitational pull.

2. How does gravitational pull affect objects?

Gravitational pull causes objects to be pulled towards each other. This is what keeps planets in orbit around the sun and holds the moon in orbit around Earth.

3. How does gravitational pull relate to revolutions?

Gravitational pull is a key factor in determining the orbits and revolutions of objects in space. The strength of gravitational pull between two objects affects the speed and distance of their revolutions around each other.

4. Can gravitational pull be measured?

Yes, gravitational pull can be measured using a scale or a balance. The force of gravitational pull is measured in newtons.

5. How does distance affect gravitational pull?

The strength of gravitational pull decreases as the distance between two objects increases. This is known as the inverse-square law, where the force of gravitational pull is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the two objects.