Gravitational Waves Detected at LIGO?

In summary: But as with all scientific discoveries, there's still much speculation about what the waves could be and whether or not they really exist. It'll be interesting to see what the scientists say this Thursday at their press conference.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
There are rumours that scientists at Advanced LIGO have detected gravitational waves ... it is about 100 years after Einstein predicted they were there in his mathematical theory of general relativity ...

Anyone know more about this rumour ...?

Peter

Physics news on Phys.org
Peter said:
There are rumours that scientists at Advanced LIGO have detected gravitational waves ... it is about 100 years after Einstein predicted they were there in his mathematical theory of general relativity ...

Peter
It seems they are still holding the press conference this Thursday so I'd expect them to say they've verified it.

Yay! (Party)

-Dan

Peter said:

Peter
Does anyone have an accurate but simple description of exactly what gravitational waves are ... and why discovering them is important ...

I have only the very vaguest of ideas ...

Peter

Peter said:
Does anyone have an accurate but simple description of exactly what gravitational waves are ... and why discovering them is important ...

I have only the very vaguest of ideas ...

Peter
Do you like to cook?

Imagine you have an egg beater and you are mixing something at the center of the bowl. Notice that there are little waves in the batter that are moving out to the edges. A cosmological example of this would be two very massive objects orbiting each other rapidly. There is a set of "waves" that propagate outward from the center, just like with the egg beater. These are gravitational waves.

There are two theoretical reasons why we want to detect gravitational waves. First General Relativity predicts them. Second, what we know of Quantum gravity predicts them. So we'd better be able to find them at some point or the theories are in trouble. But gravitational waves are very weak...it takes a large disturbance like two rapidly orbiting massive bodies to be able to measure them. So a lot of effort and ingenuity has been used to come up with experiments.

As to any practical use of gravitational waves I can't think of many off the top of my head. The big thing I can think of is as a telescope: Gravitational waves are able to penetrate into objects where light cannot go. So we could, in theory, use them to probe the inside of the Earth to study its structure. But such applications are a long way off.

-Dan

I always figured that it was only a matter of time before sensitive enough instruments would be built and gravitational waves would be detected and the predictions of the theories verified. It is nice though to see such profound theories stand the tests of time. :D

Related to Gravitational Waves Detected at LIGO?

1. What are gravitational waves?

Gravitational waves are ripples in the fabric of space-time, caused by the acceleration of massive objects. They were first predicted by Albert Einstein in his theory of general relativity.

2. How were gravitational waves detected at LIGO?

LIGO (Laser Interferometer Gravitational-Wave Observatory) uses two detectors, located in Hanford, Washington and Livingston, Louisiana, to measure tiny changes in the distance between mirrors caused by gravitational waves passing through. These changes are measured using lasers and sophisticated instrumentation.

3. What is the significance of detecting gravitational waves?

The detection of gravitational waves is a major breakthrough in physics, confirming a key prediction of Einstein's theory of general relativity. It opens up a new way of studying the Universe and understanding the behavior of massive objects, such as black holes and neutron stars.

4. How do gravitational waves differ from electromagnetic waves?

Gravitational waves and electromagnetic waves are fundamentally different. Electromagnetic waves are disturbances in the electromagnetic field, while gravitational waves are disturbances in the space-time fabric. Electromagnetic waves can travel through a vacuum, while gravitational waves require a medium (space-time) to propagate.

5. What does the detection of gravitational waves mean for future research?

The detection of gravitational waves has opened up a new field of research in astrophysics, allowing scientists to study the Universe in a completely new way. It also has the potential to revolutionize our understanding of gravity and the behavior of massive objects, leading to new discoveries and advancements in physics.