Gravitational waves for data communication?

In summary: It is difficult to predict, but it seems unlikely that we will be able to create a gravitational wave transmitter and receiver in the near future.
alan123hk
When and how can the gravitational wave be used for data communication, which the speed be much faster than the current technology by means of electromagnetic wave like 5G, 6G..etc wireless systems ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Unfortunately, it takes an event with an enormous amount of energy (like two black holes colliding) to create ah gravitational wave that moves detection instruments 1/10,000 the size of an atomic nucleus. The best technology currently available requires 800 km of vacuum tubes and an equipment package worth more than the gross national product of most countries. Even then, it takes days of processing data to become “pretty sure” that a wave went by.

Given all of this, I don’t think that gravitational waves will ever be usable for data transfer.

LURCH said:
Given all of this, I don’t think that gravitational waves will ever be usable for data transfer.

Agreed

alan123hk said:
When and how can the gravitational wave be used for data communication, which the speed be much faster than the current technology by means of electromagnetic wave like 5G, 6G..etc wireless systems ?

and gravitational waves DONT propagate faster than light ... therefore they don't propagate faster than radio waves

Last edited:
The strongest somewhat plausible source of gravitational waves we could build emits waves about a factor 1000000000000000 too weak to detect with a the best available detectors sitting right next to it - even if we ignore that the detector would be completely overwhelmed by the seismic activity of these sources (that is not what you want to measure).
Never say never, but it would surprise me if this becomes a useful method of data transfer. Certainly not in the foreseeable future. It wouldn't be much faster either. Both gravitational waves and electromagnetic waves travel at the speed of light. You can send signals through the Earth instead of around it, that is nice, but that is easier to do with neutrinos.

LURCH said:
Unfortunately, it takes an event with an enormous amount of energy (like two black holes colliding) to create ah gravitational wave that moves detection instruments 1/10,000 the size of an atomic nucleus. The best technology currently available requires 800 km of vacuum tubes and an equipment package worth more than the gross national product of most countries. Even then, it takes days of processing data to become “pretty sure” that a wave went by. Given all of this, I don’t think that gravitational waves will ever be usable for data transfer.
Thank you for your clear explanation, I know that it's almost impossible to achieve the idea now.
davenn said:
and gravitational waves DONT propagate faster than light ... therefore they don't propagate faster than radio waves

Sorry, I didn't express myself clearly enough, actually I meant the upload/download speed, namely the data speed.
I just thought that there would be enormous potential bandwidth so that the data speed can be tremendously increased if the gravitational wave communication can be realized in the future.

alan123hk said:
actually I meant the upload/download speed, namely the data speed.
That makes the problem even worse. Now we are not just interested in generating and receiving a signal at all, we need to generate and receive more rapidly than conventional broadcast, copper or fiber optic media.

What is the use case? Communications with space probes? Local area wireless broadcast (wifi)? Cellular telephone service? Wide area broadcast transmission (radio and TV)? Replacement for long haul data transmission cables? High speed communication within a central processing unit?

The ability to multiplex multiple signals by using strands and cables is a huge win for fiber optic media. It is not clear that there is any corresponding ability with gravitational waves. We'd likely be limited to broadcast.

alan123hk said:
I meant the upload/download speed, namely the data speed

Why do you think gravity wins over EM here?

Likes nsaspook and russ_watters
Relative merits as a communication medium: A single channel with a data rate of perhaps 100b/s for gravitational waves doesn't compare favourably with an available EM spectral bandwidth of a couple of hundred THz and excellent possible directivity.

Vanadium 50 said:
Why do you think gravity wins over EM here?
Because the electromagnetic spectrum is scarce resource, it has almost been occupied and used up by humans, on the other hand gravitational wave spectrum is still unoccupied.
sophiecentaur said:
Relative merits as a communication medium: A single channel with a data rate of perhaps 100b/s for gravitational waves doesn't compare favourably with an available EM spectral bandwidth of a couple of hundred THz and excellent possible directivity.

But it seems gravitational waves could exist at any frequency in principle, it looks like may be the rest of the problem is how to invent small size and high frequency gravitational transmitter and receiver.

I know this ideal maybe mission impossible today, but will it be happen in the distant future, such as hundreds or thousands of years from now ?

Although gravitational waves will probably never be used as a data-carrying device, they may have a more indirect effect on information infrastructure. The mere fact that they exist, and have been observed, means that we now know of at least one type of wave that travels at light speed, and can pass through almost any obstruction with virtually no losses. The existence of one such wave brings up the possibility that there may be others. There’s no way to even speculate as to what those may be, but the properties themselves have been shown to exist, so perhaps they exist in some other phenomena that we have not yet thought of. Maybe even one that might be usable by us, in the distant future.

Likes nsaspook
alan123hk said:
Because the electromagnetic spectrum is scarce resource, it has almost been occupied and used up by humans, on the other hand gravitational wave spectrum is still unoccupied.
That doesn't really properly address @Vanadium 50 's question. In your first post, you said faster, which should mean it has more inherent capacity, which it almost certainly does not. Perhaps more important, gravitational wave communication would be omnidirectional and un-containable, making interference between transmissions a bigger problem.

Anyway, I think this is all moot because it doesn't appear to me that such communication will ever be feasible at all.

Likes jbriggs444
russ_watters said:
That doesn't really properly address @Vanadium 50 's question. In your first post, you said faster, which should mean it has more inherent capacity, which it almost certainly does not. Perhaps more important, gravitational wave communication would be omnidirectional and un-containable, making interference between transmissions a bigger problem.
Anyway, I think this is all moot because it doesn't appear to me that such communication will ever be feasible at all.

It's not that gravitational wave has more inherent capacity so it is superior to EM wave, I mean because gravitational wave spectrum is still unoccupied, therefore, we can increase the data rate almost unlimitedly for a communication channel by means of increasing its channel bandwidth, which is based on the basic digital communication theory.

Yes, gravitational wave communication would be omnidirectional, but this still has merit in certain application like broadcasting.

I agree that this discussion may be meaningless and will not lead to any satisfactory conclusions, but I still beg for not banning this thread.
Anyway, history tells us that things are impossible today may become possible in the future.

Last edited:
alan123hk said:
gravitational wave spectrum is still unoccupied

One could make the same argument about carrier pigeons.

alan123hk said:
therefore, we can increase the data rate almost unlimitedly for a communication channel

Nonsense. This doesn't work for carrier pigeons.

alan123hk said:
I agree that this discussion may be meaningless

If so, whose fault is that?

LURCH said:
Although gravitational waves will probably never be used as a data-carrying device, they may have a more indirect effect on information infrastructure. The mere fact that they exist, and have been observed, means that we now know of at least one type of wave that travels at light speed, and can pass through almost any obstruction with virtually no losses. The existence of one such wave brings up the possibility that there may be others. There’s no way to even speculate as to what those may be, but the properties themselves have been shown to exist, so perhaps they exist in some other phenomena that we have not yet thought of. Maybe even one that might be usable by us, in the distant future.

We could use neutrinos for much the same effect. It's really difficult but maybe not really, really, really difficult like gravitational waves.
https://physicsworld.com/a/neutrino-based-communication-is-a-first/

russ_watters said:
Perhaps more important, gravitational wave communication would be omnidirectional and un-containable, making interference between transmissions a bigger problem.
If I remember correctly (I haven't worked it out myself, that is above my pay grade!), gravitational wave propagation falls away faster than ##distance^2##, so from a purely engineering (cellular) perspective this property would be an advantage ;)
I think maybe a stronger argument against GW communications is that the transmitter and receiver are essentially the same thing (directly coupled mass systems), so bidirectionality would be a bit of a problem!

@m4r35n357: The intensity drops with an inverse square law (it has to, conservation of energy) but the amplitude, what we measure, drops with 1/r only.
Transmitter and receiver are completely different objects for gravitational waves. One needs large changes in the quadrupole moment (huge masses whirling around), one needs to be as motionless as possible to detect tiny length changes.

mfb said:
@m4r35n357: The intensity drops with an inverse square law (it has to, conservation of energy) but the amplitude, what we measure, drops with 1/r only.
Transmitter and receiver are completely different objects for gravitational waves. One needs large changes in the quadrupole moment (huge masses whirling around), one needs to be as motionless as possible to detect tiny length changes.
OK I can't find a reference for my first "claim". However, the second is a little less subtle, if you address the bidirectionality part ;)

m4r35n357 said:
However, the second is a little less subtle, if you address the bidirectionality part ;)
What is there to address? Significant emitters of gravitational waves have nothing in common with sensitive detectors of gravitational waves. Everything that emits any relevant amount of gravitational waves is a horrible detector for them.

Likes davenn
mfb said:
What is there to address? Significant emitters of gravitational waves have nothing in common with sensitive detectors of gravitational waves. Everything that emits any relevant amount of gravitational waves is a horrible detector for them.
I was just making a point about the practicality of bidirectional communications, and you obviously missed it! Never mind . . .

m4r35n357 said:
I was just making a point about the practicality of bidirectional communications, and you obviously missed it! Never mind . . .
and you missed the point being made that it isn't practical :wink:

davenn said:
and you missed the point being made that it isn't practical :wink:
No. I did not. I was making that point.
[EDIT]
OK, I'll bite. In a former existence I used to design balanced duplex radio links, so I remember what crosstalk and isolation are. I also know what signal delay is.
So, for a two way comms link we have a transmitter (lets say a binary neutron star) and a receiver (a sensitive interferometer) in close proximity . . . hmmm what could possibly go wrong?
To make things a bit more tricky, we need to wiggle the neutron stars to modulate our signal, easy huh?
Oh, and signal delays (many human lifetimes) over long distances, and we can't do mobile very easily either, and we' have to operate the whole thing from a remote distance.

Last edited:
This thread is reminiscent of a thread on a different forum that suggested improving electron microscope resolution by replacing electrons with 'a smaller charged particle'; to wit, quarks. Confinement and the strong force among other issues convinced the OP that 'loose quarks' do not an electron make and the OP also learned about tunneling electron microscopes.

For communication purposes gravity waves would seem to suffer from the opposite problem: gravity is proportionately so much weaker than EM. Modulation to carry signal implies control of gravity at least as developed as electronics was say when vacuum tube amplifiers were invented?

Likes davenn
Klystron said:
This thread is reminiscent of a thread on a different forum that suggested improving electron microscope resolution by replacing electrons with 'a smaller charged particle'; to wit, quarks. Confinement and the strong force among other issues convinced the OP that 'loose quarks' do not an electron make and the OP also learned about tunneling electron microscopes.

For communication purposes gravity waves would seem to suffer from the opposite problem: gravity is proportionately so much weaker than EM. Modulation to carry signal implies control of gravity at least as developed as electronics was say when vacuum tube amplifiers were invented?

Vacuum tubes would be advanced technology. Today we are not even at the spark-gap phase of possible gravity communication.

Likes Klystron

1. What are gravitational waves and how are they relevant for data communication?

Gravitational waves are ripples in the fabric of spacetime caused by the movement of massive objects, such as black holes or neutron stars. These waves were predicted by Albert Einstein's theory of general relativity and were first detected in 2015. In terms of data communication, gravitational waves can be used as a means of transmitting information due to their ability to travel through space at the speed of light without being affected by obstacles or interference.

2. How are gravitational waves different from other forms of communication, such as radio waves or optical signals?

Unlike radio waves or optical signals, which are forms of electromagnetic radiation, gravitational waves are a completely different type of wave that is not affected by traditional methods of data transmission. They are also able to travel through objects and do not require a direct line of sight, making them a potentially more reliable and secure form of communication.

3. What are the current limitations of using gravitational waves for data communication?

One of the main limitations is the technology required to detect and manipulate gravitational waves. Currently, the equipment needed to detect and decode these waves is extremely complex and expensive. Additionally, the amount of information that can be transmitted through gravitational waves is still relatively small compared to other methods of communication.

4. Are there any potential applications for using gravitational waves in data communication?

Yes, there are several potential applications for using gravitational waves in data communication. For example, they could be used to transmit information between spacecraft or satellites without the need for physical connections. They could also be used in deep space communication, where traditional methods of data transmission are not feasible.

5. What advancements are being made in the field of gravitational waves for data communication?

Scientists and engineers are currently working on developing new technologies and techniques to improve the detection and manipulation of gravitational waves for data transmission. This includes developing more sensitive detectors and finding ways to increase the amount of information that can be transmitted through these waves. Additionally, there are ongoing research efforts to explore the potential applications of using gravitational waves for data communication in various industries and fields.