Gravitic Field of Rotating Disk-Shaped Mass Along Ecliptic

In summary, the conversation discusses the gravitational field of a rotating disk-shaped mass and whether it is denser along its ecliptic compared to its axial and radial directions. The participants also mention the difference in gravitational pull between a disk and a sphere, and the potential plots for a rotating disk on a website. There is also a mention of relativistic effects being considered.
havonasun
I am curious to know if the gravitic field of a rotating, disk-shaped mass is denser along its ecliptic. I'm referring to rotating bodies such as stellar systems, galaxies, etc. I would like to know if a second mass, passing through the ecliptic, would experience a difference such as tidal forces or perturbations. Basically, does a massive disk have any difference in its gravitic pull axially vs radially? From a great distance, it would just be a point-source, but up close I'm thinking that the magnitude of the vectors of individual bodies comprising the whole would be less axially than radially.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
The gravitational field of a disk is different from the field of a sphere. For a disk of uniform mass, this website has some plots of the gravitational potential. The force is orthogonal to the equipotential lines and stronger where the lines are denser.

Likes havonasun
From what I can interpret, the graph I would be using would be 'rotating w/star.' The field is densest at the center because of law of squares, and weakest horizontally from the center. It shows another dense region outside the disk radially. So, yes?

The page doesn't load right now, but as far as I remember the "rotating" probably included effective potentials for orbiting bodies. I'm not sure if you want that.

If the disk has a cylindrical symmetry, its rotation does not matter for the gravitational potential (ignoring relativistic effects).

Edit: Looks like relativistic effects are considered. Do you really want that?

1. What is the Gravitic Field of Rotating Disk-Shaped Mass Along Ecliptic?

The Gravitic Field of Rotating Disk-Shaped Mass Along Ecliptic refers to the gravitational force exerted by a rotating disk-shaped mass, such as a planet or star, along the plane of the ecliptic. This force is responsible for keeping objects in orbit around the rotating mass.

2. How is the Gravitic Field of Rotating Disk-Shaped Mass Along Ecliptic calculated?

The Gravitic Field of Rotating Disk-Shaped Mass Along Ecliptic can be calculated using the formula F = (G * M * m) / r^2, where F is the force, G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the rotating disk, m is the mass of the object, and r is the distance between the object and the center of the disk.

3. What factors affect the strength of the Gravitic Field of Rotating Disk-Shaped Mass Along Ecliptic?

The strength of the Gravitic Field of Rotating Disk-Shaped Mass Along Ecliptic is affected by the mass of the rotating disk, the mass of the object, and the distance between the object and the center of the disk. The force also increases as the distance between the object and the disk decreases.

4. What are the practical applications of understanding the Gravitic Field of Rotating Disk-Shaped Mass Along Ecliptic?

Understanding the Gravitic Field of Rotating Disk-Shaped Mass Along Ecliptic is crucial for many practical applications, including space travel and satellite communication. It allows us to accurately predict the orbits of objects around rotating masses and to plan trajectories for spacecraft and satellites.

5. How does the Gravitic Field of Rotating Disk-Shaped Mass Along Ecliptic contribute to the stability of our solar system?

The Gravitic Field of Rotating Disk-Shaped Mass Along Ecliptic plays a crucial role in maintaining the stability of our solar system. It keeps the planets in their orbits around the sun and prevents them from drifting off into space. It also contributes to the formation and stability of planetary systems, such as our own solar system.