Gravity: A Fun Look - Any Bloopers?

• I
  • Thread starter sophiecentaur
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fun Gravity
In summary, the conversation discusses a presentation on the concept of gravity and its explanation in relation to general relativity. The presentation is deemed to be at "I" level and lacks a full explanation. The idea of a "flow gradient" due to gravitational time dilation is mentioned, but the latter part discussing point particles is not well-received. The video producer and his background are also mentioned, along with some criticism of his approach. The conversation also delves into the concept of point particles and their behavior according to GR, as well as the limitations of using them in the math. The conversation concludes with a comment on taking popular science channels with a grain of salt.
sophiecentaur
Science Advisor
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
A guy with a loud voice gives an entertaining presentation
I don't know what the general opinion will be of this presentation. It seems ok to me but are there any enormous bloopers in it? (If there are, then the level is wrong and I apologise)

Likes Ibix
Physics news on Phys.org
sophiecentaur said:
If there are, then the level is wrong

There aren't necessarily any obvious "bloopers", but that doesn't mean the presentation is "A" level. At best it's "I" level. The thread level has been changed accordingly.

Likes sophiecentaur
sophiecentaur said:
It seems ok to me

As a rough heuristic, the idea of a "flow gradient" due to gravitational time dilation is not too bad. However, it's just a rough heuristic and it leaves out a lot.

The latter part of the video where it talks about point particles is not so good.

Likes Ibix and sophiecentaur
PeterDonis said:
The latter part of the video where it talks about point particles is not so good.
Yes - that felt to me like he'd realized that point particles were an obvious line of criticism and bunged in "this is too complicated to explain, just trust me" in an effort to cover it. Whether point particles exist or not, GR let's you consider them and says they fall.

I'm not keen on "flow" models. They feel like pandering to the notion that everything must really secretly be Euclidean and there's a flow of... something... pushing things around. That's not very GR-esque (I don't think it's even gauge gravity-esque). I like A.T.'s video better.

The "curvature of time" thing is pretty much true, though. Neglecting everything except the time-time component of the Einstein field equations and considering the limit of low speed causes them to simplify to Poisson's equation - so Newtonian gravity does genuinely drop out of the "curvature of time".

Likes PeroK
Last edited:
Likes sophiecentaur
I needed "a fun look at gravity". Gravity gets me down.

PAllen said:
Here is some info on the video producer:

https://www.aldacenter.org/flame-challenge-what-sound-0

He apparently has written a book:

http://www.scienceasylum.com/projects.php#book
To quote Rod Steiger (No way to treat a lady) "Doesn't mean you're a bad person". One of my favourite movie quotes of all time.
His Gravity movie at least introduces an idea which everyone should think about. It's along the same lines as the Relativitistic explanation of the Magnetism force - perhaps more understandable.

PeterDonis said:
To my understanding it is not experimentally verified, that classical point particles without interaction force would follow a geodesic, because classical point particles do not exist in reality. And de Broglie matter waves have a spartial size greater Zero, so that the model with the 2 clocks in the video would work for them.

Bearing in mind that this approach is a serious source of brain ache and remembering all our struggles with Newtonian, I would say it’s really not a bad stab at the topi. Of course, no single source can do it all.

Sagittarius A-Star said:
To my understanding it is not experimentally verified, that classical point particles without interaction force would follow a geodesic, because classical point particles do not exist in reality.

It is experimentally verified to high precision that ordinary objects like rocks, baseballs, and spaceships in free motion follow geodesics. So treating them as point particles in the math for cases where we don't care about their actual size or internal structure is perfectly justified.

In fact, it's even experimentally verified to high precision that large objects, like planets and stars, whose size, internal structure, and self-gravity are not negligible, in free motion follow geodesics. Demonstrating theoretically why this is expected to be the case to the precision of our current best measurements is actually quite complicated. There was a PF thread on this some time back, but I can't find it right now.

See further comments below.

Sagittarius A-Star said:
de Broglie matter waves

Are quantum things, not classical, so they are out of scope for this thread.

Sagittarius A-Star said:
have a spartial size greater Zero

This is way, way, way oversimplified, but again, it's out of scope for this thread anyway. If you want to discuss how the concept of "spatial size" is used in QM, please start a separate thread in the QM forum.

Sagittarius A-Star said:
the model with the 2 clocks in the video would work for them

The model with the 2 clocks in the video is, at best, a very rough heuristic. The obvious problem with it is that GR predicts that point particles will follow geodesics. The fact that there are no point particles in the real world is irrelevant, since the video claims to be explaining why GR predicts what it predicts, and GR as a theory makes predictions about point particles, so the video should be explaining why those predictions are the way they are. The model with the 2 clocks fails to do that.

• Informative
Likes Sagittarius A-Star, PeroK, Ibix and 1 other person
I follow this channel along with PBS Spacetime to learn about spacetime as a layman. I have learned from this forum though to take all these pop-sci channels with a pinch of salt.

MikeeMiracle said:
I follow this channel along with PBS Spacetime to learn about spacetime as a layman. I have learned from this forum though to take all these pop-sci channels with a pinch of salt.
More like a truckload :smile:

Likes vanhees71

Related to Gravity: A Fun Look - Any Bloopers?

1. What is gravity?

Gravity is a fundamental force of nature that causes objects with mass to attract each other. It is responsible for keeping planets in orbit around the sun, and objects on Earth from floating away into space.

2. How does gravity work?

Gravity works by the principle of mass attracting mass. The larger an object's mass, the stronger its gravitational pull. This is why the Earth's gravity is much stronger than the gravity on the moon, as the Earth has a greater mass.

3. Is gravity the same everywhere in the universe?

No, gravity is not the same everywhere in the universe. It varies depending on the mass and distance between objects. For example, the gravity on the surface of a massive planet like Jupiter would be much stronger than the gravity on the surface of a small moon like Titan.

4. Can gravity be turned off?

No, gravity cannot be turned off. It is a fundamental force of nature and is always present. However, its effects can be reduced by increasing the distance between objects or by reducing their mass.

5. Are there any bloopers or mistakes related to gravity?

There are no bloopers or mistakes related to gravity, as it is a well-studied and understood force of nature. However, there have been instances where scientists have made incorrect predictions or assumptions about gravity, leading to further research and understanding of this complex force.