Gravity & Time Dilation: Quantum Level Questions

In summary, the conversation discusses the theory that gravity is caused by time dilation and questions whether this means that objects not made of matter would not experience gravity. The expert points out that this is a simplified explanation for a lay audience and that there is more to the theory of general relativity. The thread is then closed due to the lack of a valid reference.
curiouschuck
TL;DR Summary
Time dilation and gravity on the quantum level
If gravity is the affect of time dilation because of the distance from the bottom of an object to the top then wouldn’t that mean that gravity doesn’t exist at the quantum level?

Physics news on Phys.org
Gravity is not that. But even if it was, why do you think that it wouldn't exist at the quantum level?

Demystifier said:
Gravity is not that. But even if it was, why do you think that it wouldn't exist at the quantum level?

I’ve heard some postulate that gravity is the affect of time dilation on objects because of the difference in spacetime from one end of the object to the other. If this is true then wouldn’t that mean that objects not made of matter wouldn’t experience gravity?

• Skeptical
Likes weirdoguy and PeroK
curiouschuck said:
If this is true then wouldn’t that mean that objects not made of matter wouldn’t experience gravity?
Light is not matter yet it experiences gravity.

curiouschuck said:
I’ve heard some postulate that gravity is the affect of time dilation on objects because of the difference in spacetime from one end of the object to the other. If this is true then wouldn’t that mean that objects not made of matter wouldn’t experience gravity?
If <some random assumption> leads to <nonsense>.

Then, the sensible thing to do is to reject the random assumption! Not to presume that the nonsense is true.

For example:

If fish can't survive in salt water, does this mean there are no fish in the sea?

Likes Dale
PeroK said:
For example:

If fish can't survive in salt water, does this mean there are no fish in the sea?
I think his question is more like:
If fish can't survive in salt water, does this mean there are no snakes in rivers?

• Haha
Likes phinds, gentzen and PeroK
I'm talking about this

Is this true? If so, then (my original question)

curiouschuck said:
I'm talking about this

Is this true? If so, then (my original question)

That's a popular science simplification for the purposes of trying to explain GR to a lay audience. One of the problems with such simplifications is that they do not form a true or consistent picture of the whole theory.

A case in point is that if gravity depends only on gravitational time dilation, then what do we say about the paths of light rays?

The video's simplified version of GR, therefore, cannot be the whole story. There must be more to GR than time dilation! And there is.

curiouschuck said:
I'm talking about this
This is not a valid reference; as @PeroK has pointed out, it's a pop science source, and pop science sources are not good sources for learning actual science. You need to be looking at an introductory textbook on GR if you want to learn how GR actually works.

Since no valid reference has been given, this thread is closed.

1. What is gravity and how does it affect time dilation at the quantum level?

Gravity is a fundamental force that causes objects with mass to be attracted to one another. At the quantum level, gravity is described by the theory of general relativity, which states that the presence of mass and energy warps the fabric of space-time. This warping of space-time can cause time dilation, where time appears to pass at different rates for objects in different gravitational fields.

2. How does the concept of space-time relate to gravity and time dilation?

Space-time is a four-dimensional continuum that combines the three dimensions of space with the dimension of time. According to the theory of general relativity, the presence of mass and energy warps this continuum, causing objects to follow curved paths in space-time. This warping of space-time is what leads to the effects of gravity, including time dilation.

3. Can time dilation occur without the presence of gravity?

Yes, time dilation can occur without the presence of gravity. According to the theory of special relativity, time dilation can occur when an object is moving at high speeds relative to another object. This is known as relative time dilation and is a result of the time and space being relative to the observer's frame of reference.

4. How does the concept of quantum mechanics influence our understanding of gravity and time dilation?

Quantum mechanics is the branch of physics that describes the behavior of matter and energy at the subatomic level. It has been shown that at the quantum level, space and time are not continuous, but rather are made up of discrete units. This has led to the development of theories such as loop quantum gravity, which attempts to unify quantum mechanics with general relativity to better understand the effects of gravity and time dilation.

5. Are there any practical applications of understanding gravity and time dilation at the quantum level?

Yes, there are several practical applications of understanding gravity and time dilation at the quantum level. For example, our understanding of time dilation is crucial for the accurate functioning of GPS systems, which rely on precise time measurements. Additionally, understanding gravity at the quantum level can help us develop better technologies for space travel and exploration.