GRE & Admissions: Does Quant Score Matter?

In summary, the conversation revolved around the importance of the quantitative GRE score in admission decisions. The speaker's score was in the 76th percentile and they were wondering if they should retake the test before the January 15th deadline for graduate school applications. It was mentioned that the general GRE score is not a major factor as long as it is reasonable, but a score below the 80th percentile may be considered low. It was also advised that retaking the test would only be beneficial if there was a strong possibility of a significant improvement.
Diracobama
I was just wondering how significant the quantitative gre score was in admission decisions. My score isn't awful (76th percentile) and my pgre is 850. Just curious.

Physics news on Phys.org
They pretty much don't care about the general GRE at all as long as you get a reasonable score. Below 80th percentile might be considered low though since it is not a difficult test and you are competing with people in the humanities who may not have taken any math in college.

Would you recommend I take it again? Many of my grad school apps are due on Jan 15th, so I could squeeze in another attempt.

That seems like a waste of time and money, unless there is some reason to believe that you would do far better the second time around.

Related to GRE & Admissions: Does Quant Score Matter?

1. Does my GRE Quant score really matter for admissions?

Yes, your GRE Quant score is an important factor in the admissions process for many graduate programs. It is often used as a measure of your quantitative skills and ability to succeed in graduate-level coursework.

2. What is considered a good GRE Quant score?

A good GRE Quant score is typically around 160 or above. However, what is considered a good score may vary depending on the specific program and institution you are applying to.

3. Is a high Quant score more important than a high Verbal score?

Not necessarily. While a high Quant score may be more important for certain programs, a high Verbal score may be more important for others. It is important to research the specific requirements and preferences of the programs you are applying to.

4. Can I still get into a graduate program with a low Quant score?

It may be more difficult to get into a graduate program with a low Quant score, but it is not impossible. Some programs may place more emphasis on other aspects of your application, such as your letters of recommendation or personal statement. It is important to showcase your strengths in these areas if your Quant score is lower than desired.

5. Can I retake the GRE if I am not satisfied with my Quant score?

Yes, you can retake the GRE if you are not satisfied with your Quant score. However, keep in mind that some programs may average your scores if you take the exam multiple times. It is important to carefully consider whether retaking the GRE is worth the time and effort.