GRE book reviews for: Physics: A Student Companion by Lowry Kirkby

In summary, the conversation discusses book reviews for "Physics: A Student Companion" by Lowry Kirkby. The speaker has not yet studied for the PGRE and is looking for recommendations on worthwhile books to use. One person mentions that they found the book to be unhelpful for the exam and suggests studying from past exams instead. Another person mentions a book that is expensive but may be helpful for its purpose.
Helmholtz
GRE book reviews for: "Physics: A Student Companion" by Lowry Kirkby

Hey Everyone,

First off I know you don't put book titles in quotes, but it makes the formatting more comprehensible. You can skip my sob story and read the last paragraph for the main gist of this post.

My Background: I just registered late for the PGRE this April and I have done no studying yet. I'm going to try and do as much as possible before the test, but I'm taking an overload this semester in exclusively 400 level (upper division) math/physics/astronomy courses, so we'll see how that goes (point being time is limited and I will want to use only books worthwhile).

I have taken one practice GRE and got ~50% of the questions right, being cold without any review of materials I took 1-2 years ago (EM & classical mech mostly). It was kind of disheartening since I thought I knew a solid 80% of them. It is really apparent I will need to review all the topics, but I really hate notes. I do not keep notes over the years because they are always useless and I am personally infinitely better off skimming a textbook than looking at notes.

MAIN POINT: I saw a self promoted book by Lowry Kirkby and heard a few good reviews. It is pretty new so there isn't much out on the book, but if any of you have read it and have any input that would be great. If you had any other suggestion that'd be great too.

Thanks for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
I borrowed it from my library when I was 3-4 weeks away from the pgre. Honestly didn't find it very helpful for the exam, I thumbed through 80-90% of it basically nodding, nothing you don't already know if you're getting 50% cold nor does it have any special tricks that will enable you to gain speed. It's also missing some important PGRE subjects.

Studying from the exams is better, especially the most recent. Learn all the tricks that enable you to solve problems faster and you'll be better off.

This book is pretty decent for its purpose, but kind of expensive:
http://www.physicsgreprep.com/book.html
You can buy the chapters individually.

1. What topics does the GRE Physics book cover?

The GRE book "Physics: A Student Companion" by Lowry Kirkby covers all major topics in physics, including mechanics, electricity and magnetism, optics, thermodynamics, and modern physics. It also includes practice questions and explanations for each topic.

2. Is the GRE Physics book suitable for beginners?

While the book does cover all major topics in physics, it is recommended for students who already have a basic understanding of the subject. It may be challenging for beginners without any prior knowledge of physics.

3. Are the practice questions in the GRE Physics book similar to those on the actual GRE exam?

Yes, the practice questions in the book are designed to be similar to those on the actual GRE Physics exam. They are meant to give students a good idea of the types of questions they can expect on the exam and to help them prepare effectively.

4. Does the GRE Physics book provide detailed explanations for the practice questions?

Yes, the book provides detailed explanations for each practice question, helping students understand the concepts and reasoning behind each answer. This can be helpful for students who may be struggling with certain topics.

5. Is the GRE Physics book a comprehensive study guide for the exam?

While the book covers all major topics and provides practice questions, it should not be the only resource used to study for the GRE Physics exam. It is recommended to supplement with other study materials and practice tests for a well-rounded preparation.