Need Help planning my study for Physics GRE

In summary, the person is looking for advice on a study plan for the physics GRE. They are considering the book "Conquering the Physics GRE" but are worried about some of the reviews. They are also looking for other advice. The person suggests looking at the past GRE exams, using books as a source of help, and using online resources as well.
RJLiberator
Gold Member
Hi all,

I will be taking the Physics GRE in September/October of this year.

I am looking to (on average) take a couple hours per day to study for the physics GRE starting as soon as possible.

However, I need a smart study plan (obviously it's a big world out there!)

First, I've noticed a top 'hit' when it comes to this question is the book entitled: "Conquering the Physics GRE" which can be found here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/1479274631/?tag=pfamazon01-20

My problem with this book is that many of the reviews on amazon say that this book did not help at all. I don't want to spend my limited money and time on a book that will be nothing like the test so I am reasonably worried regarding this.

That's why I come here in hopes to find the best possible recommendations for my study plan. If you can give me any suggestions, that would be great.

Thank you.

ps: 1,000th post.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think you need that book unless specified by the institution itself.
You can study the relevant topics through internet.that will increase your knowledge more.

Likes RJLiberator
Anyone have any input here on books/resources that you would personally suggest?

Likes John Dalton
The best resource is the most recent released tests, especially the latest one (the older ones are not great representatives of what the test is like today).

It's hard to say about practice books, but I would start by looking at one of the more recent tests (not the most recent one, you should use that as a practice test) since it will probably give you a good idea of what you need to study. There are also tons of resources online you can probably find on google.

Likes John Dalton and RJLiberator
The "Conquering the Physics GRE" book is not totally useless, but the questions it asks are at a much higher level than the GRE itself. My experience with the book is that if you can solve the questions it presents, you will do just fine on the pGRE. I used this book to study, but in hindsight a better technique to study is to go through the practice tests (maybe 2 of the ~5), try to answer them, and use that to figure out where the holes in your knowledge are. 90% of the questions, in my opinion, can be aced by thorough study of Griffith's E&M, Griffith's QM, any undergrad thermo/stat mech textbook (Schroeder?), and an analytical mechanics book (Taylor?).

Likes RJLiberator
Thank you greatly for the help. I have the GRiffith's books.

I think my plan of study will be to look over the past GRE exams and use that to see where I need help, then go to the books you mentioned. That sounds like a solid plan.

1. What topics should I focus on while studying for the Physics GRE?

The Physics GRE covers a wide range of topics including classical mechanics, electromagnetism, thermodynamics, quantum mechanics, and statistical mechanics. It is important to have a strong understanding of all these topics, but it may be helpful to prioritize areas that you feel less confident in.

2. How long should I study for the Physics GRE?

The amount of time needed to prepare for the Physics GRE will vary depending on your existing knowledge and study habits. However, it is recommended to dedicate at least 3-4 months to studying for the exam, with regular practice and review during that time.

3. Are there any specific study materials that you recommend for the Physics GRE?

There are many study materials available for the Physics GRE, including review books, practice tests, and online resources. It is important to choose materials that are specifically tailored to the Physics GRE, as well as those that align with your personal learning style.

4. How can I improve my speed and accuracy on the Physics GRE?

One of the best ways to improve your speed and accuracy on the Physics GRE is to practice with timed tests and questions. This will help you get used to the format and pacing of the exam. It is also important to thoroughly review any mistakes and understand the reasoning behind the correct answers.

5. What are some general tips for taking the Physics GRE?

Some general tips for taking the Physics GRE include starting your preparation early, practicing with real exam questions, and managing your time effectively during the exam. It is also important to stay calm and focused, and to trust in your preparation and knowledge.