Green's function for the wave function

In summary, to solve the equation $$H\Psi = i\hbar\frac{\partial \Psi}{\partial t}$$ (1), we use the differential equation (2) and the condition that ##G(t,t_0) = 0## for ##t < t_0##. This leads to the final solution for the wave function, given by (3).
Higgsono
We want to solve the equation.
$$H\Psi = i\hbar\frac{\partial \Psi}{\partial t} $$ (1)

If we solve the following equation for G

$$(H-i\hbar\frac{\partial }{\partial t})G(t,t_{0}) \Psi(t_{0}) = -i\hbar\delta(t-t_{0})$$ (2)

The final solution for our wave function is,

$$\Psi(t) = G(t,t_{0})\Psi(t_{0})$$ (3)I don't understand the steps. How do we get from (2) to (3) ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
First: (2) is not the differential equation for the Green's function, you need to remove the ##\Psi(t_0)##.

Second: The differential equation on its own does not specify the Green's function, you need to add the condition that ##G(t,t_0) = 0## for ##t < t_0##. This will imply that ##G(t,t_0) \to 1## as ##t \to t_0^+##. With that, you will find that (3) satisfies the Schrödinger equation with ##\Psi(t) \to \Psi(t_0)## as ##t \to t_0^+##.

If you have access to my book, this is discussed in section 7.2.1 for a one-dimensional ODE, but it generalises directly to your case.

Likes Ishika_96_sparkles and vanhees71

What is a Green's function for the wave function?

A Green's function for the wave function is a mathematical tool used in quantum mechanics to solve differential equations that describe the behavior of a quantum system. It represents the response of the system to a localized source, such as a point particle, and can be used to determine the wave function at any point in space and time.

How is a Green's function for the wave function calculated?

A Green's function for the wave function is typically calculated by solving the differential equation for the system and then applying boundary conditions to obtain a specific solution. This solution is then used to construct the Green's function, which can be expressed as an integral over all possible initial conditions.

What is the significance of a Green's function for the wave function?

A Green's function for the wave function is significant because it allows us to solve complex quantum systems by breaking them down into simpler parts. It also provides a way to calculate the time evolution of a quantum system and can be used to study the behavior of particles in a potential field.

What are the limitations of using a Green's function for the wave function?

One limitation of using a Green's function for the wave function is that it is only applicable to linear systems, meaning that the response of the system is directly proportional to the input. It also assumes that the system is stationary, meaning that its properties do not change over time.

How is a Green's function for the wave function used in practical applications?

A Green's function for the wave function is used in a variety of practical applications, such as calculating the electron density in atoms and molecules, predicting the behavior of particles in a material, and understanding the properties of quantum systems. It is also used in fields like solid state physics, nuclear physics, and quantum chemistry to model and analyze complex systems.