Green's Theorem Verification for Vector Field F and Region R

In summary, the conversation discusses verifying the Green's Theorem for a given vector field $\overrightarrow{F}$ and curves $C$ and region $R$. The process involves finding the unit vector $\hat{n}$ and evaluating two integrals, both of which result in a value of 0. The conversation also addresses clarifying the use of $\hat{n}$ as a unit vector and confirms the correctness of the exercise.
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

I have to verify the Green's Theorem $\oint_C{ \overrightarrow{F} \cdot \hat{n}}ds=\iint_R{\nabla \cdot \overrightarrow{F}}dA$.
The following are given:
$$\overrightarrow{F}=-y \hat{\imath}+x \hat{\jmath}$$
$$C: r=a \cos{t} \hat{ \imath}+a \sin{t} \hat{\jmath}, 0 \leq t \leq 2 \pi$$
$$R: x^2+y^2 \leq a^2$$

I have done the following:
$$\hat{n}=\frac{dy}{dt} \hat{ \imath}-\frac{dx}{dt} \hat{\jmath}=a \cos{t} \hat{\imath}+a \sin{t} \hat{\jmath}$$
$$\oint_C{\overrightarrow{F} \cdot \hat{n}}ds=\int_0^{2 \pi} {(-a \sin{t} \hat{\imath}+ a \cos{t} \hat{\jmath})(a \cos{t} \hat{\imath}+a \sin{t} \hat{\jmath}) } a dt=\int_0^{2 \pi}{(-a^2 \sin{t} \cos{t}+a^2 \cos{t} \sin{t})a}dt=\int_0^{2 \pi}{0}dt=0$$

$$ \nabla \cdot \overrightarrow{F}=0$$
$$\iint_R{\nabla \cdot \overrightarrow{F}}dA=\iint_R{0}dA=0$$

Have I calculated correct these two integrals? Is the change of variables at the first integral right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi!
emoticon-alladin-016.gif
mathmari said:
$$\hat{n}=\frac{dy}{dt} \hat{ \imath}-\frac{dx}{dt} \hat{\jmath}=a \cos{t} \hat{\imath}+a \sin{t} \hat{\jmath}$$

Isn't $\hat n$ supposed to be a unit vector? :eek:

I like Serena said:
Hi!
emoticon-alladin-016.gif

Isn't $\hat n$ supposed to be a unit vector? :eek:
So can I not use this $\hat{n}$? which $\hat{n}$ can I use instead?

mathmari said:
So can I not use this $\hat{n}$? which $\hat{n}$ can I use instead?

To make it a unit vector, you should divide by its length, which happens to be $a$:
$$\hat{n}= \cos{t} \hat{\imath}+ \sin{t} \hat{\jmath}$$

I like Serena said:
To make it a unit vector, you should divide by its length, which happens to be $a$:
$$\hat{n}= \cos{t} \hat{\imath}+ \sin{t} \hat{\jmath}$$

Aha, ok! And besides from that is the exercise correct?

mathmari said:
Aha, ok! And besides from that is the exercise correct?

Yep!

I like Serena said:
Yep!

Ok! Thanks a lot! (Smirk)

1. What is Green's Theorem?

Green's Theorem is a fundamental theorem in multivariable calculus that relates a line integral around a simple closed curve to a double integral over the region enclosed by the curve.

2. Why is Green's Theorem important?

Green's Theorem is important because it provides a powerful tool for calculating certain types of integrals, particularly in physics and engineering applications.

3. How do you verify Green's Theorem?

To verify Green's Theorem, you need to check that the partial derivatives of the functions in the theorem satisfy a specific condition known as the Cauchy-Riemann equation.

4. What are the applications of Green's Theorem?

Green's Theorem has many applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. It can be used to calculate work done by a force, moments of inertia, and electric potential, among other things.

5. Can Green's Theorem be extended to higher dimensions?

Yes, Green's Theorem can be extended to higher dimensions through a generalization known as the generalized Stokes' Theorem or the fundamental theorem of calculus for line integrals.