Ground-state energy of harmonic oscillator(operator method)

In summary: The operator only acts on the state, not the energy. Even when the ground state energy does have a value of ##\hbar\omega_0## (after addition of a constant as explained above), the vanishing of ##a^-\psi_0## is not caused by the energy being reduced to zero. Therefore, using the argument of energy being reduced to zero as an alternative explanation of ##a^-\psi_0=0## is irrelevant.
explainplease
I studied this from Griffith Chapter 2, with the algebraic (raising and lowering operator) method, we reached the ground state by setting a_Ψ0 = 0 , then we got what the ground state is, and then plugged it in the Schrodinger equation to know the energy, and it turned out to be 0.5 ħω.
My question is, if the lowering operator decreases the energy every time with ħω, how come the E0 isn't ħω ? so that when the lowering operator acts on it, it gives E=0 .
I know I am getting something wrong here but I can't put my hand on it.

Note: I am not familiar with the Dirac notations. If you planned on explaining using them.

Last edited:
Likes pintu935
Physics news on Phys.org
The energy of a harmonic oscillator is given by:

[itex](-\hbar^2/2m \frac{\partial^2}{\partial x^2} + \frac{1}{2} m \omega^2 x^2) \psi = E \psi[/itex]

If you define the operators [itex]a[/itex] and [itex]a^\dagger[/itex] by:

[itex]a = +\sqrt{\frac{\hbar}{2 m \omega}} \frac{\partial}{\partial x} + \sqrt{\frac{m \omega}{2 \hbar}} x[/itex]
[itex]a^\dagger = -\sqrt{\frac{\hbar}{2 m \omega}} \frac{\partial}{\partial x} + \sqrt{\frac{m \omega}{2 \hbar}} x[/itex]

then the above equation can be rewritten as:

[itex](a^\dagger a + \frac{1}{2}) \hbar \omega \psi = E \psi[/itex]

So the lowest energy level is when [itex]a^\dagger a \psi = 0[/itex], meaning [itex]E = \frac{1}{2}\hbar \omega[/itex]

Likes pintu935, explainplease and bhobba
You can actually set the zero energy of a Hamiltonian at any value, this is usually set such that the problem of interest is simplified in the calculation. You can also view this from the fact that the potential energy which is contained in the Hamiltonian can be set to have any reference as you want. Add a constant ##\frac{1}{2}\hbar \omega_0## into the usual harmonic oscillator Hamiltonian, and you get ##E_0 = \hbar\omega_0##. Addition of a constant like that to the Hamiltonian does not change the eigensolutions, so the newly formed Hamiltonian is physically the same as the old one, you simply set different reference for the energy.
explainplease said:
so that when the lowering operator acts on it, it gives E=0 .
The operator only acts on the state, not the energy. Even when the ground state energy does have a value of ##\hbar\omega_0## (after addition of a constant as explained above), the vanishing of ##a^-\psi_0## is not caused by the energy being reduced to zero. Therefore, using the argument of energy being reduced to zero as an alternative explanation of ##a^-\psi_0=0## is irrelevant.

Likes explainplease
blue_leaf77 said:
You can actually set the zero energy of a Hamiltonian at any value, this is usually set such that the problem of interest is simplified in the calculation. You can also view this from the fact that the potential energy which is contained in the Hamiltonian can be set to have any reference as you want. Add a constant ##\frac{1}{2}\hbar \omega_0## into the usual harmonic oscillator Hamiltonian, and you get ##E_0 = \hbar\omega_0##. Addition of a constant like that to the Hamiltonian does not change the eigensolutions, so the newly formed Hamiltonian is physically the same as the old one, you simply set different reference for the energy.

When it comes to potential energy, it is defined up to a constant, and it only makes sense to talk about the potential energy with reference to another point, but the Hamiltonian shouldn't be the same way, after all, isn't the state of a particle defined by its energy? (no degenerate states) ? How come I can change it and not change the state? Don't I shift the ladder of the allowed states in the harmonic oscillator then?

blue_leaf77 said:
The operator only acts on the state, not the energy. Even when the ground state energy does have a value of ##\hbar\omega_0## (after addition of a constant as explained above), the vanishing of ##a^-\psi_0## is not caused by the energy being reduced to zero. Therefore, using the argument of energy being reduced to zero as an alternative explanation of ##a^-\psi_0=0## is irrelevant.

Okay so, I want the wave function to be zero after lowering it one time, and I don't really care about the energy. But. if the wave function is zero, doesn't this imply that the energy is zero too? Or is it the case that if the energy is negative, it isn't allowed because it won't be normalizable so I must get a zero solution everywhere?

thanks so much.

stevendaryl said:
The energy of a harmonic oscillator is given by:

[itex](-\hbar^2/2m \frac{\partial^2}{\partial x^2} + \frac{1}{2} m \omega^2 x^2) \psi = E \psi[/itex]

If you define the operators [itex]a[/itex] and [itex]a^\dagger[/itex] by:

[itex]a = +\sqrt{\frac{\hbar}{2 m \omega}} \frac{\partial}{\partial x} + \sqrt{\frac{m \omega}{2 \hbar}} x[/itex]
[itex]a^\dagger = -\sqrt{\frac{\hbar}{2 m \omega}} \frac{\partial}{\partial x} + \sqrt{\frac{m \omega}{2 \hbar}} x[/itex]

then the above equation can be rewritten as:

[itex](a^\dagger a + \frac{1}{2}) \hbar \omega \psi = E \psi[/itex]

So the lowest energy level is when [itex]a^\dagger a \psi = 0[/itex], meaning [itex]E = \frac{1}{2}\hbar \omega[/itex]

I trust the math, I just didn't get how this is physically consistent with my knowledge about what the lowering operator does.

explainplease said:
I studied this from Griffith Chapter 2, with the algebraic (raising and lowering operator) method, we reached the ground state by setting a_Ψ0 = 0 , then we got what the ground state is, and then plugged it in the Schrodinger equation to know the energy, and it turned out to be 0.5 ħω.
My question is, if the lowering operator decreases the energy every time with ħω, how come the E0 isn't ħω ? so that when the lowering operator acts on it, it gives E=0 .
I know I am getting something wrong here but I can't put my hand on it.

Note: I am not familiar with the Dirac notations. If you planned on explaining using them.

If you check the proof for what the lowering operator does, then you will find that:

##H(a_{-} \psi) = (E-\hbar \omega)(a_{-}\psi)##

From this, you can conclude that ##a_{-} \psi## is an eigenfunction of ##H## with eigenvalue ##E-\hbar \omega##. Unless, that is, ##a_{-} \psi = 0##.

If ##a_{-} \psi = 0##, then you do not get a further eigenfunction with any eigenvalue, and all bets are off.

Likes explainplease
explainplease said:
I trust the math, I just didn't get how this is physically consistent with my knowledge about what the lowering operator does.

You might find it helpful to think of the lowering operator as something that turns ##\psi_n## into ##\psi_{n-1}## instead of something that lowers the energy by ##\hbar{n}## - I'm thinking this is what @blue_leaf77 has in mind when he says "The operator only acts on the state, not the energy". Phrased this way, there's no particular reason to expect the eigenvalue of ##\psi_0## to differ from zero (or any other number that's not an eigenvalue, for that matter) by the same amount that it differs from the eigenvalue of ##\psi_1##.

Last edited:
Likes explainplease
explainplease said:

I'm not sure what the issue is. The ground state obeys the equation:

[itex]a \psi_0(x) = 0[/itex]

So [itex]a^\dagger a \psi_0 = 0[/itex] and [itex] (a^\dagger a + 1/2) \hbar \omega \psi_0 = 1/2 \hbar \omega \psi_0[/itex]

I don't understand why you think that's inconsistent with what the lowering operator does. The lowering operator lowers the energy by [itex]\hbar omega[/itex], which means that if [itex]\psi[/itex] satisfies:

[itex]H \psi = E \psi[/itex]

then [itex]a \psi[/itex] satisfies

[itex]H (a \psi) = (E - \hbar \omega) (a \psi)[/itex]

Note that the latter equation is certainly true in the case [itex]a \psi = 0[/itex]

explainplease said:
When it comes to potential energy, it is defined up to a constant, and it only makes sense to talk about the potential energy with reference to another point, but the Hamiltonian shouldn't be the same way
The Hamiltonian is the sum of kinetic and potential energies, so, the Hamiltonian is also actually defined up to a constant, which comes from the potential energy. It has nothing to do with degeneracy.
explainplease said:
How come I can change it and not change the state? Don't I shift the ladder of the allowed states in the harmonic oscillator then?
With the addition of a constant C, the new Hamiltonian will look like ##(\frac{p^2}{2m} + \frac{1}{2}m\omega^2x^2+C)\psi_n = E_n\psi_n##. Throw ##C## to the right side to obtain ##(\frac{p^2}{2m} + \frac{1}{2}m\omega^2x^2)\psi_n = \epsilon_n\psi_n## with ##\epsilon_n = E_n-C##, you get a similar equation as before the presence of ##C##. Hence, with the addition of a constant, the energy of each state is shifted by the same amount and therefore the difference between consecutive energies remains unchanged.
explainplease said:
But. if the wave function is zero, doesn't this imply that the energy is zero too? Or is it the case that if the energy is negative, it isn't allowed because it won't be normalizable so I must get a zero solution everywhere?
First, I don't think you can say that the number zero represents a state. Again, you can actually shift the energies by any amount without changing the corresponding state. The sign of energies has nothing to do with normalizability.

blue_leaf77 said:
The Hamiltonian is the sum of kinetic and potential energies, so, the Hamiltonian is also actually defined up to a constant, which comes from the potential energy. It has nothing to do with degeneracy.

With the addition of a constant C, the new Hamiltonian will look like ##(\frac{p^2}{2m} + \frac{1}{2}m\omega^2x^2+C)\psi_n = E_n\psi_n##. Throw ##C## to the right side to obtain ##(\frac{p^2}{2m} + \frac{1}{2}m\omega^2x^2)\psi_n = \epsilon_n\psi_n## with ##\epsilon_n = E_n-C##, you get a similar equation as before the presence of ##C##. Hence, with the addition of a constant, the energy of each state is shifted by the same amount and therefore the difference between consecutive energies remains unchanged.

First, I don't think you can say that the number zero represents a state. Again, you can actually shift the energies by any amount without changing the corresponding state. The sign of energies has nothing to do with normalizability.
I get it now thanks!

Related to Ground-state energy of harmonic oscillator(operator method)

1. What is the ground-state energy of a harmonic oscillator?

The ground-state energy of a harmonic oscillator is the lowest possible energy state that a quantum mechanical system can have. It represents the energy of the system when it is in its lowest possible vibrational state.

2. How is the ground-state energy of a harmonic oscillator calculated using the operator method?

The ground-state energy can be calculated using the operator method by applying the annihilation operator, a, to the ground state wavefunction, |0>, and then taking the inner product with the Hamiltonian operator, H. This results in the ground-state energy, E₀ = ħω/2, where ħ is the reduced Planck's constant and ω is the angular frequency of the oscillator.

3. Can the ground-state energy of a harmonic oscillator be zero?

No, the ground-state energy of a harmonic oscillator cannot be zero. According to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, a quantum mechanical system cannot have a precisely defined energy and position at the same time. Therefore, even in the ground state, the oscillator must have some minimum amount of energy.

4. How does the ground-state energy of a harmonic oscillator change with changes in its parameters?

The ground-state energy of a harmonic oscillator is directly proportional to the angular frequency, ω. This means that as the frequency increases, the energy also increases. Additionally, the ground-state energy is inversely proportional to the mass of the oscillator, meaning that as the mass decreases, the energy increases.

5. What is the significance of the ground-state energy of a harmonic oscillator in quantum mechanics?

The ground-state energy of a harmonic oscillator is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics. It serves as a reference point for calculating the energy of higher vibrational states and plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of atoms, molecules, and other quantum systems. Additionally, the ground state can only be occupied by one particle, making it an important factor in the exclusion principle and determining the properties of matter.