Grounded circuit, 2 batteries and 2 resistors

In summary, the potential at point a is 9V and the potential at point b is 1V in a circuit with a 9V battery, 2 ohms resistor, 6V battery, and 1 ohm resistor. This is found using Kirchhoff's loop law and Ohm's law.
kamhogo

Homework Statement

Picture a circuit grounded at the left lower corner. Then as you go up the left side of the circuit, you have a 9V battery. The top left corner is labeled a. Then on the top of the circuit, you have a 2 ohms resistor. Then on the right side of the circuit, you have a 6V battery. The right lower corner is labeled b. Then on the bottom side of the circuit you have a 1 ohm resistor.
What is the value of the potential at points a and b?

Homework Equations

Kirchhoff's loop law
I = Epsilon/R
Delta Vr = - I*R

The Attempt at a Solution

First Kirchhoff's loop law to find the current in the circuit. I assumed the clockwise current was the same in both resistors.

--> 9V - 2 I - 6V - 1 I = 0
3V = 3I --> I = 1A

I know the potential at point a is 9V. The potential at the lower left corner, where the circuit is grounded, is zero. As you go up the circuit, you have gained 9 V by "passing through" the 9V battery.

Then you pass through the top resistor.
The potential difference across that resistor is given by delta Vr = - I * R = -1A*2omhs =-2V. So by the time you reach the right top corner, you are at 9V-2V= 7V.

Then you pass through the 6V battery. You go from the positive terminal to the negative terminal, so you lose 6V. Hence, at point b you are 7V-6V= 1V.

Is my reasoning any good?

Physics news on Phys.org
kamhogo said:
Then as you go up the left side of the circuit, you have a 9V battery. The top left corner is labeled a. Then on the top of the circuit, you have a 2 ohms resistor. Then on the right side of the circuit, you have a 6V battery. The right lower corner is labeled b. Then on the bottom side of the circuit you have a 1 ohm resistor.
What is the value of the potential at points a and b?
What about polaritiy of the batteries? A diagram would be helpful.

tmp_5375-20160331_170516-639066610.jpg

kamhogo said:
Is my reasoning any good?
Yes, that all works.

haruspex said:
Yes, that all works.

Muchas gracias! !

You can also get to b by going "up" through the 1 Ohm...

0 + (1*1) = 1V

CWatters said:
You can also get to b by going "up" through the 1 Ohm...

0 + (1*1) = 1V

True that.

1. How does a grounded circuit work?

A grounded circuit is a type of electrical circuit where one of the circuit's nodes is connected to the ground. This means that the potential of the node connected to the ground is considered to be zero. Grounding a circuit helps to protect against electrical shocks and can also help to stabilize the voltage levels in the circuit.

2. What is the purpose of using 2 batteries in a circuit?

Using 2 batteries in a circuit allows for an increase in the overall voltage of the circuit. By connecting the positive terminal of one battery to the negative terminal of the other, the batteries are essentially connected in series, resulting in a higher total voltage. This can be useful for powering devices that require a higher voltage than a single battery can provide.

3. How do resistors affect a circuit with 2 batteries?

Resistors are components that limit the flow of current in a circuit. In a circuit with 2 batteries, resistors can help to balance the current and prevent one battery from draining faster than the other. They can also help to regulate the overall voltage in the circuit, ensuring that it does not exceed the capacity of the connected components.

4. Can the number of resistors in a circuit affect the overall voltage?

Yes, the number of resistors in a circuit can affect the overall voltage. In a series circuit, the total resistance increases with each additional resistor, resulting in a decrease in the overall voltage. In a parallel circuit, the total resistance decreases with each additional resistor, resulting in an increase in the overall voltage.

5. How does the concept of a grounded circuit apply to practical applications?

Grounded circuits are commonly used in household electrical wiring to provide a safe and stable electrical system. Grounding a circuit can also help to protect electronic devices from power surges and lightning strikes. In addition, many electronic devices, such as computers and phones, have grounded circuits to protect against potential electrical hazards.