Group Homomorphisms from Z/<5> to Z/<5>: A Brute Force Approach

In summary, the conversation discusses finding all homomorphisms from Z/<5> into Z/<5>. It is clarified that <5> refers to the ideal generated by 5, and Z/<5> is the quotient group. It is mentioned that there are only 5 possible homomorphisms, depending on the value of f(1).
mathematician

Homework Statement

Find all homomorphisms from Z/<5> into Z/<5>.

The Attempt at a Solution

Is this a brute force question where we consider all the possibilities for the function?
i.e f(0)=0,1,2,3,4
But that would still be combinatorially difficult.

Physics news on Phys.org
If f(1) =0, then f(x) = 0 for all x. Otherwise, there is k !=0 s.t. f(x) = kx for all x. So there are exactly 5 homos. I'll let you fill in the details(I left out several).

Last edited:
Z/<5>={z<5>|z in Z}
but: <5>={5^0,5^1,...}
from your notation i understnad that <5> should be 5Z.
first you need to specify if it's with respect to addition or multiplication.
let's assume it's addition then 0 should be mapped to zero, and then you need
to map everything that the operation will stay as it is, i mean that f(a+b)=f(a)+f(b)
for example f(4+1)=f(5)=f(0)=0=f(4)+f(1) then the only couple for f(1) or f(4) are 2,3 or 4 and 1 or both zero, and this way you keep mapping between them.
so as you said it's a brute force type of question.

edit

Last edited:
Presumably, <5> indicates the ideal generated by 5, and not the group.

Mystic998 said:
Presumably, <5> indicates the ideal generated by 5, and not the group.
Yes, and so Z/<5> is the quotient group, the "group of integers modulo 5" as everyone is assuming.

mathematician said:

Homework Statement

Find all homomorphisms from Z/<5> into Z/<5>.

The Attempt at a Solution

Is this a brute force question where we consider all the possibilities for the function?
i.e f(0)=0,1,2,3,4
But that would still be combinatorially difficult.
No, not at all. There are only 5 such homomorphisms, not 5!= 120 as you may be thinking; you cannot just assign values arbitrarily. If f is a homomorphism then f(a+ b)= f(a)+ f(b) so f(2)= f(1)+ f(1), f(3)= f(1)+ f(1)+ f(1), and f(4)= f(1)+ f(1)+ f(1)+ f(1). (Of course f(0)= 0 for every homomorphism.) Every thing depends entirely on what f(1) is and there are 5 possible values for that.

Related to Group Homomorphisms from Z/<5> to Z/<5>: A Brute Force Approach

1. What is a group homomorphism?

A group homomorphism is a function between two groups that preserves their algebraic structure. In other words, it maps elements from one group to another in a way that maintains the group operation and other properties.

2. Why is Z/<5> used in this approach?

Z/<5> is a cyclic group of order 5, meaning that it contains only 5 elements and each element generates the entire group. This makes it a good choice for studying group homomorphisms as it is a simple and well-understood group.

3. What is the brute force approach to studying group homomorphisms?

The brute force approach involves systematically checking all possible mappings between the elements of two groups to determine which ones preserve the group structure. In this case, we are looking at all possible mappings between the elements of Z/<5> and Z/<5>.

4. How many group homomorphisms are there from Z/<5> to Z/<5>?

Since Z/<5> is a cyclic group, there is exactly one group homomorphism from Z/<5> to Z/<5>. This is because any element in Z/<5> can be mapped to any other element in Z/<5> in a way that preserves the group structure.

5. What applications does the study of group homomorphisms have?

Group homomorphisms have many applications in mathematics and other fields, including cryptography, coding theory, and physics. They are also important in understanding the structure and properties of groups, which have numerous real-world applications in areas such as chemistry, economics, and computer science.