Grouping all of the units at the end? I.E. F=ma = 2.3*424.3 [kg*m/s]

In summary: Thanks. I'll use this more knowing that its a proper practice. Just ot make sure I'm doing it right, is this correct in format?##F=9.8m [m/s^{2}]##
WK95
In some papers I've read, I've seen the authors write down all of the units at the end. For example

##F=ma = 2.3*424.3 [kg*m/s^2]##

In high school, I've never seen the teachers or textbooks write like this. How common is this is method? Assuming one keeps track of their units properly, I like this method because it feels more organized.

Physics news on Phys.org
WK95 said:
In some papers I've read, I've seen the authors write down all of the units at the end. For example

##F=ma = 2.3*424.3 [kg*m/s^2]##

In high school, I've never seen the teachers or textbooks write like this. How common is this is method? Assuming one keeps track of their units properly, I like this method because it feels more organized.

It's the usual thing to collect all of the units in a product together, for exactly the reason you cite. Do it, it's a good thing to do.

Likes 1 person
Yes as long as you keep track of units, this is a good way to do it. Remember that the short name for a kg.m/s^2 is a Newton, the SI unit of force.

Likes 1 person
Thanks. I'll use this more knowing that its a proper practice. Just ot make sure I'm doing it right, is this correct in format?

##F=9.8m [m/s^{2}]##

What about for something like y = 59 - 4x?
Would I group the units in brackets after each term or at the end of the whole thing?
For example, would it be
##y = 59 [unit] - 4x[otherunit]##

Last edited:
WK95 said:
Thanks. I'll use this more knowing that its a proper practice. Just ot make sure I'm doing it right, is this correct in format?

##F=9.8m [m/s^{2}]##

The format isn't terribly important, you don't need brackets. Just collect all of the units at the end like you did before, kg*m/s^2. I'm not sure what your example is. m[m/s^2] isn't the units of a force.

WK95 said:

##F=9.8m [m/s^{2}]##

What about for something like y = 59 - 4x?
Would I group the units in brackets after each term or at the end of the whole thing?
For example, would it be
##y = 59 [unit] - 4x[otherunit]##

End of the whole thing. If the two terms you are adding or subtracting have different units, then there is a mistake someplace. You can't add things with different units.

The first m is a variable for mass. But it looks the same as the unit for meters

Also, the example was just random numbers. The variable of x has units that would make "otherunit" into the "unit" but I didn't put down the units for x since it's still an unknown value.

WK95 said:
The first m is a variable for mass. But it looks the same as the unit for meters

Also, the example was just random numbers. The variable of x has units that would make "otherunit" into the "unit" but I didn't put down the units for x since it's still an unknown value.

Ok, fair enough. But using 'm' as a variable for mass when you are are also using 'm' to designate meters is asking for confusion. If you are collecting units, then use dimensionless quantities for the variables, like the numbers you used before. I.e. don't say mass=M. Say mass=M*kg. So M itself has no dimensions.

Likes 1 person

1. How is grouping all of the units at the end helpful in scientific calculations?

Grouping all of the units at the end allows for easier manipulation and conversion of units, as well as reducing the risk of errors in calculations.

2. What is the purpose of using the equals sign in scientific equations?

The equals sign in scientific equations indicates that the two sides of the equation are equal in value. This allows for the solving of unknown variables and understanding the relationship between different quantities.

3. Why is it important to include units in scientific calculations?

Units provide context and meaning to numerical values in scientific calculations. They also help to ensure accuracy and consistency in measurements.

4. What does the combination of units in scientific calculations represent?

The combination of units in scientific calculations represents the physical quantities being measured and the relationship between them. For example, the combination of kilograms and meters per second in the equation F=ma represents the force applied to an object due to its mass and acceleration.

5. How do you convert units when grouping them at the end of an equation?

To convert units in an equation with grouped units, simply perform the conversion on the numerical values and leave the units unchanged. For example, to convert 2.3 kg*m/s to pounds*feet/second, you would convert 2.3 kg to pounds and 1 m/s to feet/second, resulting in 5.07 pounds*feet/second.