How did we come about dicovering energy and why is Joule its unit?

In summary: But the "work" concept was there before the "lever" concept. Am I correct?Yes, you are correct. The concept of work was developed before the concept of levers.
Melac12
When my textbook talks about energy it starts with kinetic and potential. The derivation goes like this. F=ma=m(dv/dt)=-mg then they split the derivative using chain rule
(dv/dt)=(dv/dy)(dy/dt) therefore since (dy/dt)=v we get F=mv(dv/dy)=-mg then they write mv dv= -mg dy then they integrate ∫mv dv= -∫mg dy and we get
(1/2)(mv^2)-(1/2)(mv^2)=-(mgy)+(mgy)
Then the textbook just defines kinetic and potential energy and says that J=1kg(m/s)^2

I have a hard time understanding why they did this things. If I were a scientist what would make me do all those steps then integrate and then define energy with that unit. What made them think that that derived unit represents energy? How do they know they are right? Energy is not something we see like motion and its not something we feel like force, but we know its there. And clearly energy is related to force so how did scientists put it all together?
If anyone can explain to me why this is a good way to define energy and perhaps also tell me how scientists got to it historically, it would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Melac12 said:
When my textbook talks about energy it starts with kinetic and potential. The derivation goes like this. F=ma=m(dv/dt)=-mg then they split the derivative using chain rule
(dv/dt)=(dv/dy)(dy/dt) therefore since (dy/dt)=v we get F=mv(dv/dy)=-mg then they write mv dv= -mg dy then they integrate ∫mv dv= -∫mg dy and we get
Then the textbook just defines kinetic and potential energy and says that J=1kg(m/s)^2

I have a hard time understanding why they did this things. If I were a scientist what would make me do all those steps then integrate and then define energy with that unit. What made them think that that derived unit represents energy? How do they know they are right? Energy is not something we see like motion and its not something we feel like force, but we know its there. And clearly energy is related to force so how did scientists put it all together?
If anyone can explain to me why this is a good way to define energy and perhaps also tell me how scientists got to it historically, it would be greatly appreciated.

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Forget about the calculus. If you can feel force then wouldn't make sense that work (energy) should be something like force*distance?

Melac12 said:

These are good questions. It is not immediately obvious why energy is defined this way. It took scientists a long time - almost 200 years after Newtons laws - to realize this. Unfortunately, few introductory physics texts go into the history of how this concept evolved.

It was Joule (1818-1889) who first demonstrated the relationship between heat and work.

With this understanding that heat could be created by work, it was first realized that energy - the ability to do work - is always conserved, in some form, in any interaction. This was fundamental to the development of the field of thermodynamics. The standard unit of energy was named the Joule in recognition of the importance of Joule's contribution.

The History of Energy is quite interesting and I would recommend the wiki article.

AM

As Andrew says:
A very good question, and non-trivial.
Basically, what we learn today is the fastest way by means of logic&math to reach "energy"; that fastest way was NOT how, historically, the energy concept developed.

It has been known since Galileo that the height from which a body falls is proportional to the square of its final velocity.

It seems to me that the earliest of the energy-related concepts was "work" as force times distance, which goes back to the early 1600s in connection with levers. Think of the "law of the lever" in which force times distance is the same on both "sides" of the lever.

www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=584812 (in particular post #9)

In levers, the "distance" was usually understood as that perpendicular to the force. So I think it is more appropriate to link levers with torque.

It is true, though, that when a lever is in operation, the path (or the would be path) of the force is proportional to the lever's arm, so the (would be) work is indeed proportional to the lever's arm. Even though I think this was understood much later, Lagrange in his Mecanique Analytique attributed the principle (which he termed the "virtual velocity principle") to some late 16th century. He then used this principle to develop his mechanics, where energy plays a central role (even though he does not use the term).

1. How did we first discover energy?

The concept of energy has been studied and understood by scientists and philosophers throughout history. The ancient Greeks were the first to propose the idea of energy, believing it to be a fundamental element of the universe. In the 17th century, scientists such as Galileo and Newton developed the laws of motion, which helped to further understand energy and its role in the physical world.

2. How did Joule become the unit of energy?

The unit of energy, the joule, is named after the English physicist James Prescott Joule. In the mid-19th century, Joule performed groundbreaking experiments to measure the relationship between heat and mechanical work. He showed that energy could be converted from one form to another, and his work helped to establish the concept of energy conservation. In honor of his contributions, the scientific community named the unit of energy after him.

3. What is the significance of discovering energy?

The discovery of energy has had a profound impact on our understanding of the physical world and has led to numerous technological advancements. It has allowed us to harness the power of natural resources such as coal, oil, and wind to create electricity, power machines, and improve our daily lives. Understanding energy has also helped us to develop more efficient and sustainable ways of using and conserving resources.

4. How does energy impact our daily lives?

Energy is essential for our daily lives, powering everything from our homes and cars to our electronic devices. It allows us to stay connected, stay warm, and stay nourished. Energy also plays a crucial role in industries such as transportation, manufacturing, and healthcare. Without energy, our modern way of life would not be possible.

5. How is energy measured and calculated?

The unit of measurement for energy is the joule, which is defined as the amount of energy required to apply a force of one newton through a distance of one meter. Energy can also be measured in other units such as calories, BTUs, and kilowatt-hours. To calculate energy, one can use the formula E = mgh, where E is energy, m is mass, g is gravitational acceleration, and h is height. This formula is commonly used to calculate potential energy, but there are other equations for different types of energy, such as kinetic energy or thermal energy.