Groups containing no proper subgroup

In summary: You can use the division algorithm for integers to prove this.In summary, we can conclude that in an abelian group, the order of the product of elements a and b is equal to the least common multiple of their individual orders. This is because raising ab to the power of the lcm of their orders will result in the identity element, and no power less than this can do the same. This relationship also holds true for non-abelian groups, as long as the group is finite and the elements have finite orders. However, the product of elements in a non-abelian group with infinite order can also have infinite order, as shown by the example of reflections in lines passing through the origin resulting in a rotation with infinite order.
hgj
1. Describe all groups G which contain no proper subgroup.

This is my answer so far:
Let G be a such a group with order n. Then the following describe G:
(a) Claim that every element in G must also have order n.
Proof of this: If this wasn't true, the elements of lower order (elements of order m where m<n) would generate smaller subgroups, thus creating proper subgroups. (Though I'm not sure what to say about elements of order greater than n--is that possible?)
(b) Claim G must also be prime.
Proof of this: If G is not prime, then n = k*m for some integers k,m < n. Also, if G is not prime, then I think a^k would have order m, m < n (but I'm not sure why this second part is true).

2. Let a,b be elements of an abelian roup of orders m,n respectively. What can you say about the order of their product?

My answer (in progress):
If the orders of a and b are m and n, respectively, then [tex]a^m=1[/tex] and [tex]b^n=1[/tex]. Then [tex]a^m=b^n[/tex] and [tex]a^mb^n=1[/tex]. Let m<n. Then [tex]a^mb^n=(ab)^mb^(^n^-^m^)=1[/tex].
I'm really not sure where to go from here.

3. (related to 2.) Show by example that the product of elements of finite order in a nonabelian group need not have finite order.

My answer (in progress):
A nonabelian group can be infinite in order, meaning their are infinitely many elements in the group. But the individual elements in the group can still have finite order. Hence, even if the elements have finite order, there are infinitely many of these such elements, so their product does not have to have finite order.
I'm not convinced of this answer, so any advice would be very appreciated.

Also, any input on any of the questions would be helpful. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you done Lagrange's theorem? If so, then you'll know that no element of a group of order n can have order greater than n. You are more or less right that every element will have to have order n, what you should actually say is that every non-identity element must have order n. Identity will generate its own little subgroup, but I guess you could consider it an improper subgroup. Again, if you are familiar with Lagrange's theorem, then you'll also know why n must be prime. You will be able to say that these groups are cyclic, and hence abelian.

Well you're not really on the right track for 2. Try multiplying (ab) by multiples of m.

I'm not sure how 3 is related to 2. However, the product of two reflections in lines passing through the origin is a rotation. Any reflection has order 2, but if you choose your lines right, the resulting rotation can have infinite order, just make sure that it is a rotation that is not a rational multiple of pi.

We have not done Lagrange's Theorem yet, though I've looked at it and wish we had...it seems it would be helpful.

I'm still not sure what to do for the second problem. I don't see what multiplying (ab) my multiples of m would do for me.

Okay, with the second problem about the order of the product of ab, I think it's that the order of ab divides the lcm(m,n) where m and n are the orders of a and b. I'm not sure how to prove this though.

lcm(m,n) = kmn for some k in {1, 2, 3, ...}, agreed? So:

(ab)lcm(m,n)
= (ab)kmn
= akmnbkmn ... since the group is abelian
= (an)km(bm)kn
= ekmekn
= e

Now there's a stronger statement you can make regarding the relationship between lcm(m,n) and the order of ab, and making this statement will solve the problem. Try going about this problem by looking at the subgroup generated by a and b, <a, b>.

if [tex](ab)^l^c^m^(^m^,^n^) = e[/tex], doesn't that mean that the order of ab is the lcm(m,n)? Then, because a number always divides itself, that would explain why the order of ab divides the lcm(m,n). Is that right?

Well e100 = e, but 100 is not the order of e. The above shows that the order of (ab) divides lcm(m,n), not that it is lcm(m,n). The fact is that it is lcm(m,n) but I'm not sure how to prove it actually. You have to prove that if you raise ab to some power less than lcm(m,n) then you cannot get e.

Related to Groups containing no proper subgroup

1. What is a group containing no proper subgroup?

A group containing no proper subgroup is a group in which the only subgroups are the trivial subgroup (containing just the identity element) and the group itself. This means that all the elements in the group cannot be divided into smaller groups.

2. How is a group containing no proper subgroup different from a simple group?

A simple group is a group in which the only normal subgroups are the trivial subgroup and the group itself. This means that a simple group may have non-trivial proper subgroups, whereas a group containing no proper subgroup cannot have any non-trivial proper subgroups.

3. What are some examples of groups containing no proper subgroup?

One example of a group containing no proper subgroup is the cyclic group of prime order. Another example is the group of invertible matrices over a finite field, known as the general linear group.

4. Can a group containing no proper subgroup be infinite?

Yes, a group containing no proper subgroup can be infinite. For example, the infinite cyclic group contains no proper subgroup.

5. What are the implications of a group containing no proper subgroup?

A group containing no proper subgroup has certain properties that make it useful in certain mathematical structures. For example, these groups are often used in group theory to study the structure of larger groups. Additionally, they have applications in cryptography and coding theory.