Growing tomatoes upside down and gravitropism

• Thread starter tony873004
  • Start date
In summary, there is a new trend of growing tomatoes upside down, but it goes against what we learned in Biology of Plants about root growth being influenced by gravity. The concern is how the plants will develop a strong root system if they are planted upside down. One solution is to start the plants right-side up and then turn them upside down once they have a healthy root system. However, there is no evidence to support this method.
tony873004
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I noticed the latest craze is to grow tomatoes upside down, so I though I'd try it. But in Biology of Plants class, we learned that roots only grow downward due to gravitropism. So if I plant the seedlings at the bottom of the pot, how will they ever develop a big root system that fills the container? I figured I could always start the plants right-side up, wait until they've developed a healthy root system throughout the container, and then turn them upside down. But nothing I read suggests doing it this way.

Biology news on Phys.org
http://www.cheapvegetablegardener.com/2009/04/make-your-own-upside-down-tomato.html

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How do tomatoes grow upside down?

Growing tomatoes upside down involves using a hanging planter with a hole at the bottom for the tomato plant to grow through. The plant is planted upside down, with the roots at the top and the leaves and fruit hanging downwards. This allows for better air circulation and less susceptibility to pests and diseases.

2. What is gravitropism and how does it affect tomato growth?

Gravitropism is the natural response of plants to gravity. In simple terms, it is the way plants grow in response to the pull of gravity. In tomato plants, gravitropism plays a crucial role in determining the direction of growth, with the roots growing downwards and the stems and leaves growing upwards.

3. What are the benefits of growing tomatoes upside down?

Growing tomatoes upside down has several benefits, including better air circulation and drainage, which can help prevent diseases and pests. It also saves space and makes harvesting easier. Additionally, gravity helps the plant grow straight and can lead to larger, healthier tomatoes.

4. Can any type of tomato be grown upside down?

While most varieties of tomatoes can be grown upside down, it is best to choose smaller or determinate varieties. These types of tomatoes are more compact and produce fruit on shorter vines, making them more suitable for hanging planters. Indeterminate varieties, on the other hand, can become too large and heavy for upside down growing.

5. How do I care for tomato plants grown upside down?

The care for tomato plants grown upside down is similar to that of traditionally grown tomatoes. They require regular watering, fertilizing, and pruning to promote healthy growth and fruit production. It is also important to provide support for the plant as it grows and ensure the hanging planter is securely attached to prevent it from falling over.