Gussets and cantilever bending

In summary: Sorry, I thought my question was clear. I am only concerned with the gusset (point #3). The other points are more straightforward. Also, I only asked about the horizontal orientation in my original question.
lordvon said:
I actually agreed with you at one point. But I did the experiment I described to you in the previous post and got the result that leads to my belief now. Also I believe that the longitudinal shear has to be transmitted throughout the cross-section somehow. But I am happy to be proven wrong.
Since you actually did the experiment, perhaps the way to end the confusion is to post clear before and after photos of the experiment with all dimensions, materials and force applications documented.

As is sometimes said, "A picture is worth a thousand words." Take advantage of that! Otherwise, all that is happening is words (noises) are being tossed back and forth.

Likes jack action and berkeman
Engineering news on Phys.org
Tom.G said:
Since you actually did the experiment, perhaps the way to end the confusion is to post clear before and after photos of the experiment with all dimensions, materials and force applications documented.

As is sometimes said, "A picture is worth a thousand words." Take advantage of that! Otherwise, all that is happening is words (noises) are being tossed back and forth.

Agreed. This was a few years ago. I could easily replicate it...

And of course there is always the possibility i did it wrong and/or interpreted the results incorrectly.

Likes berkeman