GW Detection Confirmation: Time, Rate, & GRB?

In summary, the LIGO experiment has found a strong signal of a binary black hole merger, but there is a possibility that it could be spurious. It is unknown how long it will take to confirm the result with a second event, and the rate of similar discoveries is also unknown. There has been independent confirmation of a Gamma-ray burst coinciding with the event, although the reliability of this news is unclear. The bounds on the rate were estimated from just a single event, with a large allowed range due to the limited statistics.
Gravitoastronomy
I understand that the LIGO experiment was very lucky to find a very strong signal of a very energetic event (binary black hole merger). Having into account the non-negligible possibility that the signal may be spurious or some problem in the data adquisition, how much time must pass before we can confirm (with a second event) that the result was likely genuine, or that could be spurious (for example, if months pass without other detection). In other words, what is the average rate of expected discoveries similar to the event on 11th December?

I have also heard that there has been independent confirmation of Gamma-ray burst coincident in time with the event (0.4 seconds shift). How trusty are those news?

Physics news on Phys.org
The rate is unknown. The best bounds on the rate (which are rather weak) comes from the LIGO event.

Orodruin said:
The rate is unknown. The best bounds on the rate (which are rather weak) comes from the LIGO event.
So we must wait. After the first announcement and all the excitement, I read the paper and I changed mood, it was too good to be true, like a kind of WOW! signal. I hope that new events will confirm the data, they had detected a few candidates but with much lower sigma.

Orodruin said:
That was one of my questions, left open in a discussion in our institute. How were the bounds on the rate estimated from just a single event?

vanhees71 said:
That was one of my questions, left open in a discussion in our institute. How were the bounds on the rate estimated from just a single event?

I would assume that this was inferred in the standard way. If the signal+background rate was too low, it would be very unlikely to already have an event, which would put a lower bound on signal+background rate (translating to a lower bound on the signal rate given that the background rate is minuscule). If the signal+background rate was too high, it would be very unlikely to not have observed more events, which would put an upper bound on the rate.

Of course, one event is not much statistics and therefore the resulting allowed range is going to be large (2-400 Gpc^-3 yr^-1 as quoted in the LIGO paper).

I see, thanks for the quick response!

1. What is the significance of confirming the time of a GW detection?

Confirming the time of a GW detection is crucial because it allows us to pinpoint the exact moment that the event occurred. This information can then be compared to data from other telescopes and observatories to further understand the source of the GW signal.

2. How do scientists determine the rate of GW detections?

The rate of GW detections is determined by collecting data from multiple GW observatories and comparing the number of confirmed detections over a certain period of time. This rate can then be used to estimate the frequency of GW events in the universe.

3. What is the connection between GW detections and gamma-ray bursts (GRBs)?

GW detections and GRBs are often connected because they both involve high-energy events in the universe. It is believed that some GRBs may be caused by the merging of two neutron stars, which can also produce GW signals. Confirming the time and rate of GW detections can help us better understand the relationship between these two phenomena.

4. How do scientists confirm the detection of GWs?

Scientists confirm the detection of GWs by using specialized detectors called interferometers, which measure tiny changes in the length of space caused by passing GWs. These measurements are then compared to predicted signals and verified by multiple independent observatories to confirm the detection.

5. What are the potential implications of confirming GW detections?

Confirming GW detections can have a significant impact on our understanding of the universe. It can provide evidence for the existence of certain astrophysical events, such as black hole mergers, and help us better understand the nature of gravity. It can also open up new avenues for research and potentially lead to breakthroughs in our understanding of the universe.