GZK Limit: Exploring Cosmic Ray Energies Beyond 10^20 eV

In summary, the conversation discusses the inability to detect cosmic rays with energies higher than ~ 10^20 eV, also known as the GZK limit. The speaker asks for clarification on why this is the case and mentions a possible explanation involving the interaction of neutrinos and antineutrinos. The other person responds by stating that high energy particles do interact with the CMB and expresses difficulty in understanding the speaker's explanation.
Zuzana
Hello,
I would like to ask, why there cannot be detected cosmic rays with energies higher than ~ 10^20 eV, i.e. beyond the GZK limit?

Thanks a lot in advance for the answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
What have you found out? For example, did you look on Wikipedia? What was hard to understand?

Likes phinds and ohwilleke
I do not understand why proton with energy > 50 EeV cannot interact with CMB, because there is a cosmic ray paradox and one of possible explanations is that neutrino and antineutrino interacts and create hadrons with extreme energies, is there for these extreme-energy CRs interaction with CMB or not?

That may be the longest sentence I have read in a while. I have a hard time parsing it, but you seem to have the sign of the limit backwards. High energy particles do interact with the CMB.

Likes ohwilleke