H (heat transfer coefficient) problem

In summary, the box has a thermal conductivity of 2BTU / Hr / Square Foot / oF, which is higher than the 1BTU / Hr / Square Foot / oF for a metal box with forced air circulation. The box would be better suited for use in a refrigeration system with a lower heat load, as it would be less likely to leak heat.
Ravi Singh choudhary
I have a cuboid shaped box. It is being used as a chilling tank in my refrigeration system based on Evan Perkins cycle. For heat load calculation I tried to calculate the heat leakage in the sysyem. So I considered conduction and natural convection. I am in preliminary stage, so no use of softwares and simulations. Can anyone help me using approximations and comparing with simple geometric shapes like flat plates or any kind of characteristics length concept.

Engineering news on Phys.org
In English (American) units:

For a metal box in still air:

1BTU / Hr / Square Foot / oF

For a metal box with forced air circulation (either inside or outside): 2BTU / Hr / Square Foot / oF

(Sorry about the English units, that's the only one I've memorized.)

Tom.G said:
In English (American) units:

For a metal box in still air:

1BTU / Hr / Square Foot / oF

For a metal box with forced air circulation (either inside or outside): 2BTU / Hr / Square Foot / oF

(Sorry about the English units, that's the only one I've memorized.)
It is a wooden box and also I need to know the method to get there. Analytical or approximate.

Try this Google search: thermal resistance of wood

One result that goes into detail is:
http://web.ornl.gov/info/reports/1988/3445602823407.pdf

There are many more.

One thing to consider is that when below 0oC, the moisture in wood freezes and greatly increases the thermal conductivity.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tom.G said:
Try this Google search: thermal resistance of wood

One result that goes into detail is:
http://web.ornl.gov/info/reports/1988/3445602823407.pdf

There are many more.

One thing to consider is that when below 0oC, the moisture in wood freezes and greatly increases the thermal conductivity.
Can I consider wooden box having four vertical plates and one horizontal plate at top...

Last edited by a moderator:
Ravi Singh choudhary said:
Can I consider metal box having four vertical plates and one horizontal plate at top...
Yes, if that is what you are using... assuming the bottom is closed.

Likes Ravi Singh choudhary
Actually I need to calculate the cooling load of the chilling tank. I calculated cooling load of brine placed inside the box but I also want to calculate the heat leakage from the system and I want to consider the conduction and convection.

Tom.G said:
Yes, if that is what you are using... assuming the bottom is closed.
Let me give you the dimensions of the tank 600mmx450mmx300mm it is a model in laboratory. I was doubting about hydraulic diameter concept for the characteristic length of whole box instead of treating as individual walls.

Calculate the outside surface area of the box.

Look up the thermal conductivity of the wood you are using.
(Conductivity is often specified as Watts / (meter oC))

Multiply the conductivity by the surface area and by the temperature difference, then divide by the wall thickness.
{( conductivity x surface area x temp difference ) / wall thickness }

For a more complete description see: http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/conductive-heat-transfer-d_428.html

What is the heat transfer coefficient (H)?

The heat transfer coefficient (H) is a measure of the rate at which heat is transferred between two surfaces. It is typically represented by the letter "h" and has units of watts per square meter kelvin (W/m2K).

Why is the heat transfer coefficient important in scientific research?

The heat transfer coefficient is important in scientific research because it helps us understand and control heat transfer processes. This is crucial in many fields such as thermodynamics, engineering, and materials science.

How is the heat transfer coefficient calculated?

The heat transfer coefficient is calculated by dividing the heat transfer rate by the temperature difference between the two surfaces. It can also be calculated using empirical correlations or through experimental measurements.

What factors affect the heat transfer coefficient?

There are many factors that can affect the heat transfer coefficient, including the properties of the two surfaces, the type of heat transfer (convection, conduction, or radiation), the flow conditions, and the temperature difference between the two surfaces.

What are some common methods for improving the heat transfer coefficient in industrial processes?

Some common methods for improving the heat transfer coefficient in industrial processes include increasing the surface area of the two surfaces, using heat transfer enhancement techniques such as fins or turbulators, and controlling the flow conditions to promote better heat transfer.