H parameter analysis of transistor amplifiers.

In summary: So two port networks are equivalent to linear equations in two unknowns, where the two fixed parameters are Vin and Vout. Now we need to find the equations for Iin and Iout.
ShreyasR
In h parameter analysis, we take the input current and output voltage as independent variables. and the Input voltage and output current are dependent on the input current and output voltage. They are related as:

Vin = h11Iin + h12Vout ___(1)
Iout = h21Iin + h22Vout ___(2)

In case of a transistor amplifier (say, common emitter RC coupled amplifier), practically say if we are feeding an input voltage (sine) to the amplifier using a signal generator, then Vin is decided by us. I would say Vin is not dependent on the output voltage of the amplifier.

If this is the case, if we are doing h parameter analysis, I feel the use of Equation (1) becomes invalid as it suggests that the input voltage is dependent on the output.

Because of this, I am not convinced with h parameter analysis of transistor circuits. :confused: :confused: :frown: :frown: Someone please help me with this? :smile:

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi ShreyasR. These are linear equations, so you can rearrange them to make any term the subject of the forumula. If you hold Vin fixed, then you are determining Iin and Vout.

You can connect one signal generator to set Vin and another to set Vout if you wish to fix both!

OMG! Silly me... thank you! :smile:

Sorry. I thought that made sense but then i landed up in this situation.
When i connect a signal generator to the input, all that i know is Vin, and the h parameters. So how do i theoretically calculate 3 unknowns (Vout, Iin and Iout) when i have only two equations from the h parameters?

I wish i had Iin... But when i draw the H parameter equivalent model, I am not able to obtain another equation to get Iin. :confused::frown:

Sorry. I thought that made sense but then i landed up in this situation.
When i connect a signal generator to the input, all that i know is Vin, and the h parameters. So how do i theoretically calculate 3 unknowns (Vout, Iin and Iout) when i have only two equations from the h parameters?

I wish i had Iin... But when i draw the H parameter equivalent model, I am not able to obtain another equation to get Iin. :confused::frown:

What is the relation between Iout and Vout?

Iout = h21Iin + h22Vout this is the relation between Iout and Vout (Equation 2)

ShreyasR said:
So how do i theoretically calculate 3 unknowns (Vout, Iin and Iout) when i have only two equations from the h parameters?

Without a load, Iout is zero; that gives you two equations in two unknowns.

Likes 1 person
ShreyasR said:
Iout = h21Iin + h22Vout this is the relation between Iout and Vout (Equation 2)
The answer I was looking for ... :smile:

is that Iout = - Vout / RL

So there is your third equation. (3 equations, 3 unknowns)

Likes 1 person
Oh my! Thank you NascentOxygen and The Electrician... I made a mistake in marking Iout... It is the current flowing through the load and not through hoe... Well now i get it all...

Now i guess i get a clear picture of two port networks. This is how I have understood it:

For any linear two port network, we can consider any two parameters out of the set {Vin, Vout, Iin and Iout} to be fixed and write them down as a linear function of the other two parameters.

And when we consider two parameters to be fixed, they need not actually be independent, but this is just to obtain an equivalent model (either Z parameter model, Y parameter model or hybrid parameter model). And any of these models can be converted to some other model.

Can i say this is the basic principle used in two port analysis? I have just typed what I have understood. If there is anything wrong in the way i have understood this, please correct me. Thanks!

Someone please correct me if I am wrong... Is my understanding of this concept just fine? This will be the last question...

That sounds okay.

1. What is H parameter analysis of transistor amplifiers?

H parameter analysis is a method used to analyze and model the behavior of a transistor amplifier. It involves measuring the input and output characteristics of the transistor and using these values to calculate its H parameters, which describe the amplifier's response to changes in voltage and current.

2. Why is H parameter analysis important in transistor amplifiers?

H parameter analysis is important because it allows us to understand and predict the performance of a transistor amplifier. By knowing the H parameters, we can design amplifiers with specific gain, input and output impedances, and frequency response.

3. How is H parameter analysis performed?

To perform H parameter analysis, the input and output characteristics of the transistor amplifier are measured using different values of input voltage and load resistance. These values are then used in mathematical equations to calculate the H parameters.

4. What are the main H parameters used in transistor amplifiers?

The main H parameters used in transistor amplifiers are hfe (common emitter current gain), hie (input impedance), hre (reverse voltage feedback ratio), and hoe (output admittance). There are also variations of these parameters for different amplifier configurations.

5. What are the limitations of H parameter analysis?

H parameter analysis is based on linear equations and therefore is only accurate for small signal analysis. It also assumes that the transistor is operating in a stable and linear region, which may not always be the case in practical applications. Additionally, H parameters may vary with temperature, frequency, and bias conditions, so they are not always constant. Other analysis methods, such as small-signal AC analysis, may be needed to fully characterize a transistor amplifier.