Hadrons with significant branching ratios to muons

In summary, the undergraduate researcher's professor is interested in hadrons produced at LHC conditions that decay before reaching the detector. The researcher has found the K0 long particle, but it is too stable. The conversation then discusses various sources for information on muons, which is the only product the professor is interested in. The resources provided include a list of baryons and mesons, the branching fraction of J/Psi decays, and databases for simulations. The discussion concludes with the goal of finding a common process for muon production that would require fewer generated events for statistical analysis.
Eric Culbertson
Hi, I'm undergraduate researcher and my professor is interested in the answer to this question. He's kind of left me in the dark on why this is important to us, but that is another matter.

We want hadrons that are produced at LHC conditions and decay before reaching the detector. So far all I've found is K0 long, but that particle is a little too stable for our needs.

Physics news on Phys.org
Likes Eric Culbertson and mfb
In addition to the raw number of muons, the muon energy is probably interesting. As an example, if you study hadron decays at LHCb then muons with 2 GeV will be interesting - they are produced in large amounts from hadron decays. If you look for supersymmetric particles at ATLAS and CMS, then the muons you are interested in are probably somewhere in the range of 30-100 GeV, where they are more likely to come from Z decays, or even higher energies, where particle decays are not a large contribution and the Drell-Yan process is important.

More context would really help.

Likes Eric Culbertson
Thanks for the replies! The resources provided certainly will be helpful. The only thing my prof cares about is muons, the other products don't matter. We want a process that is common enough so that we don't have to generate too many events to get decent statistics.

All I know is that this is somehow relevant to the proposed fast timing layer for phase2 at CMS. Sorry for the lack of detailed info.

Why don't you directly produce the muons if that is all you care about?
J/Psi and Z should be fine. The calibration with data will probably use these particle as well.

Eric Culbertson said:
We want a process that is common enough so that we don't have to generate too many events to get decent statistics.

I know nothing about the CMS software, but surely you can force the decay modes...

1. What are hadrons with significant branching ratios to muons?

Hadrons are subatomic particles that are composed of quarks and interact through the strong nuclear force. They can have different properties and can decay into other particles. Hadrons with significant branching ratios to muons are hadrons that are more likely to decay into muons compared to other particles.

2. What are muons?

Muons are subatomic particles that are similar to electrons, but with a greater mass. They are classified as leptons and are considered to be elementary particles, meaning they cannot be broken down into smaller components. Muons are commonly found in cosmic rays and are also produced in particle accelerators.

3. Why is it important to study hadrons with significant branching ratios to muons?

Studying these types of hadrons can provide valuable insights into the fundamental interactions and properties of particles at the subatomic level. They can also help us understand the structure of matter and the underlying mechanisms of the strong nuclear force.

4. How do scientists study hadrons with significant branching ratios to muons?

Scientists use particle accelerators such as the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) to produce and study these types of particles. By accelerating hadrons to high energies and colliding them, scientists can collect data on the particles produced in the collisions and analyze their properties and decay patterns.

5. What are some examples of hadrons with significant branching ratios to muons?

Some examples of hadrons with significant branching ratios to muons include the J/ψ meson, the ϒ meson, and the D meson. These particles have been extensively studied in experiments at the LHC and other particle accelerators around the world.