Half-value thickness for barium 137m

• Thread starter fleetingmoment
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Thickness
In summary, the half-value layer of gamma rays in lead is dependent on the energy of the gamma photons before they enter the lead.
fleetingmoment

Homework Statement

The half-value layer (thickness) of gamma rays in lead is dependent on the energy of the gamma photons before they enter the lead. Find the graph which shows the relationship between the energy of the gamma photons (pasted below) and the half-value layer and read their energy. In your data book (we didn't get one or even a photocopy of the page), look up the energy of gamma photons emitted by barium 137* and compare it with the energy from the graph.
Barium 137 hvl over meV copy.png

Homework Equations

upload_2017-5-6_10-33-26.png

The Attempt at a Solution

Looking at the graph, it seems to be telling me that an increase in gamma energy at the entry point of a material corresponds with an increase in material thickness needed to cut this energy by half. I'm not really sure I understand the second part of the question, though. For one thing I don't have any data for the gamma energy associated with barium 137*, though I did read (it may have been on Wikipedia) that gamma energies are typically a few hundred kilo-electronvolts. For another, assuming I did manage to find the energy, what does it mean by 'compare it with the energy from the graph'? I imagine it means that I would take the stated energy and insert it into
upload_2017-5-6_10-26-28.png

as a function I(x) and then solve for I(0) and I(n), comparing the results with several points on the graph shown. I hope I am on the right track. Could someone please tell me what the gamma energy for barium 137* is?

Physics news on Phys.org
fleetingmoment said:
Could someone please tell me what the gamma energy for barium 137* is?
How about a web search on "barium 137"?

Hi kuruman,
I conducted several, but got sick of pages and pages of information about half-life etc. Luckily I've just tried again and lo and behold I found a page which told me the following: 'The energies of both the beta decay of cesium-137 and the subsequent gamma decay of the excited barium 137 are 512 keV and 662 keV, respectively.', which I'm going to run with.
Thank you.

1. What is the Half-value thickness for barium 137m?

The half-value thickness for barium 137m is the thickness of a material that is required to reduce the intensity of a beam of barium 137m radiation by half. It is measured in units of length, such as centimeters or inches, and is dependent on the type and density of the material.

2. How is the Half-value thickness for barium 137m calculated?

The half-value thickness can be calculated using the following formula: T1/2 = 0.693/μ, where T1/2 is the half-life of barium 137m and μ is the linear attenuation coefficient of the material. The linear attenuation coefficient is a measure of how well a material can absorb radiation and is dependent on the density and atomic number of the material.

3. Why is the Half-value thickness for barium 137m important?

The half-value thickness is an important measure for radiation safety and protection. It helps determine the amount of shielding material needed to reduce exposure to barium 137m radiation to a safe level. This is especially important in industries where workers may be exposed to radioactive materials.

4. How does the Half-value thickness for barium 137m compare to other radioactive materials?

The half-value thickness for barium 137m may differ from other radioactive materials due to variations in their half-lives and linear attenuation coefficients. Some materials may require thicker shielding to reduce radiation exposure to a safe level, while others may require less.

5. Can the Half-value thickness for barium 137m change over time?

The half-value thickness for barium 137m may change over time due to the radioactive decay of the material. As the material decays, the intensity of the radiation decreases, and the half-value thickness may change accordingly. It is important to regularly reassess the shielding requirements for radioactive materials as their half-lives decrease.