Halmos-Generalized Version of Associative Law

In summary, Halmos discusses the generalized version of the associative law for unions in Section 9 on families. He explains that for a family of sets {Ij} with domain J and another family of sets {Ak} with domain K, the union of Ak over K is equal to the union of Ai over Ij for all j in J. This is a generalized version because it does not require a specific order of taking unions, unlike the traditional associative law.
sammycaps
I posted this in the homework section, but I think it probably belongs here.

So Halmos says in Section 9 on families, "Suppose, for instance, that {Ij} is a family of sets with domain J, say; write K=UjIj and let {Ak} be a family of sets with domain K. Is it then not difficult to prove that, Uk∈ KAk=Uj∈ J(Ui∈ IjAi); this is the generalized version of the associative law for unions

So, I'm just trying to wrap my head around why this is the generalized version of the associative law for unions. Do we have to assign some kind of sequence for the way we take the union over K that somehow transfers to the way we take union over J and Ij? This may be a dumb question, but I'm a bit confused.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
sammycaps said:
I posted this in the homework section, but I think it probably belongs here.

So Halmos says in Section 9 on families, "Suppose, for instance, that {Ij} is a family of sets with domain J, say; write K=UjIj and let {Ak} be a family of sets with domain K. Is it then not difficult to prove that, Uk∈ KAk=Uj∈ J(Ui∈ IjAi); this is the generalized version of the associative law for unions

So, I'm just trying to wrap my head around why this is the generalized version of the associative law for unions. Do we have to assign some kind of sequence for the way we take the union over K that somehow transfers to the way we take union over J and Ij? This may be a dumb question, but I'm a bit confused.

Uk∈ KAk=Uj∈ J(Ui∈ IjAi)

Above expression is very unclear.

Oh, my bad, when I copy pasted, the formatting was lost in translation. Fixed.

It looks like you are forming the union of Ak on both sides of the equation, but in a different order on each side. On the left (since there are no parentheses), the order seems to be one at a time, while on the right you are taking unions of a bunch at a time and then union of the bunches.

I would respond by saying that the generalized version of the associative law for unions is a mathematical concept that allows us to simplify and manipulate sets and their unions in a more abstract and general way. It may seem confusing or counterintuitive at first, but once we understand the concept and its applications, it can be a powerful tool in solving problems and proving theorems.

In this case, Halmos is showing that the order in which we take unions over sets does not matter, as long as the sets are related through a common index set. This means that we can rearrange the unions in any way we want, as long as the elements in the sets are the same. This is similar to the associative law for addition and multiplication, where the order of operations does not affect the final result.

To answer your question, we do not necessarily need to assign a specific sequence for taking unions over K, but rather understand the relationship between the sets and how they can be grouped and manipulated. This generalization allows us to apply the associative law for unions in a broader context, beyond just two sets.

In summary, the generalized version of the associative law for unions is a powerful tool in mathematics that allows us to manipulate and simplify sets and their unions in a more abstract and general way, without being limited to just two sets. I hope this helps clarify the concept for you.

1. What is the Halmos-Generalized Version of Associative Law?

The Halmos-Generalized Version of Associative Law is a mathematical principle that states that the order in which three or more operations are performed on a set of elements does not affect the outcome as long as the operations are associative.

2. Who is Paul Halmos and why is this law named after him?

Paul Halmos was a renowned mathematician who made significant contributions to the fields of functional analysis, measure theory, and logic. He is credited with formulating the Halmos-Generalized Version of Associative Law, which is named after him to honor his work.

3. How is the Halmos-Generalized Version of Associative Law different from the traditional associative law?

The traditional associative law applies only to two operations, whereas the Halmos-Generalized Version can be extended to any number of operations. It also takes into account the associativity of the operations, whereas the traditional associative law assumes that all operations are associative.

4. What is the importance of the Halmos-Generalized Version of Associative Law in mathematics?

The Halmos-Generalized Version of Associative Law plays a crucial role in simplifying complex mathematical equations by allowing us to rearrange the order of operations without changing the final result. It also helps in proving theorems and solving problems in various mathematical fields.

5. How is the Halmos-Generalized Version of Associative Law used in real-world applications?

The Halmos-Generalized Version of Associative Law is used in various fields such as engineering, computer science, and physics to simplify calculations and make them more efficient. It is also used in cryptography and coding theory to ensure the security and accuracy of data transmission and storage.