Primary Ideals in a PID

• Thread starter Bashyboy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pid
In summary: Hence ##p_1^{n_1}\ldots p_k^{n_k} \subseteq (y)##. But both are proper and different from ##(0)##, so ##p_1^{n_1}\ldots p_k^{n_k} = (y)##. This is what we finally want to show.
Bashyboy

Homework Statement

Let ##R## be a principal ideal domain. (a) Every proper ideal is a product of ##P_1...P_n## of maximal ideals which are uniquely determined up to an order. (b) ##P## is a primary (not prime) ideal if and only ##P=(p^n)## for some prime ##p \in R## and ##n \in \Bbb{N}##. (c) If ##P_1,...,P_k## are primary ideals such that ##P_i = (p_i^{n_i})## and the ##p_i## are distinct primes, then ##P_1...P_k = P_1 \cap ... \cap P_k##. (d) Every proper ideal in ##R## can be expressed (uniquely up to order) as the intersection of a finite number of primary ideals.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am currently working on part (c) and could use some help. Here is what I have so far. Since we are taking the ##p_i## to be distinct, I believe we can also take them not be associates of each other, but I'm not entirely certain. First note that ##(p_1^{n_1})...(p_k^{n_k}) = (p_1^{n_1}..p_k^{n_k})##, since we are working in a commutative ring. Let ##x \in (p_1^{n_1}..p_k^{n_k})##. Then ##p_1^{n_1}...p_k^{n_k} \mid x## and therefore ##p_i^{n_i} \mid x## for every ##i## and finally ##x \in (p_i^{n_i})## for every ##i##, proving that ##(p_1^{n_1})...(p_k^{n_k}) \subseteq \bigcap_{i=1}^k (p_i^{n_i})##.

Now we try to prove the other set inclusion. First, since ##\bigcap_{i=1}^k (p_i^{n_i})## is the intersection of ideals, it must also be an ideal, from which we can conclude ##\bigcap_{i=1}^k (p_i^{n_i}) = (y)## for some ##y \in R##. This ##y## must be nonzero and not a unit, which means that there exist primes/irreducibles ##c_i## and integers ##m_i \in \Bbb{N}## such that ##y = c_i^{m_1} ... c_s^{m_s}##, because ##R## is also a UFD. Since ##(y) = \bigcap_{i=1}^k (p_i^{n_i})##, ##c_i^{m_1} ... c_s^{m_s}## must be in the intersection, which implies that, for every ##i##, ##p_i^{n_i} \mid c_i^{m_1} ... c_s^{m_s}## and therefore ##p_i \mid c_i^{m_1} ... c_s^{m_s}##. Because ##p_i## is prime, it follows that ##p_i \mid c_j^{m_j}## for some ##j##, and through induction we get ##p_i \mid c_j##. This means that ##c_j = \ell_{ij} p_i## for some ##\ell_{ij} \in \Bbb{N}##, and since ##c_j## is also irreducible, ##\ell_{ij}## must be a unit, from which it follows ##c_j## and ##p_i## are associates. So, for every ##i##, there exists a ##j## such that ##p_i## and ##c_j## are associates, so ##k \le s## (can we take, WLOG, ##k=s##?) For convenience, relabel the elements so that ##p_i## and ##c_i## are associates...

-----------------------

Okay. At this point, I am unsure of how to proceed. I am trying to show that ##c_i^{m_1} ... c_s^{m_s} \in (p_1^{n_1})...(p_k^{n_k})##, but the path is obscure for some reason, although I believe I am close. I could use some hints.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think it is a bit too complicated what you wrote. Let me try to sort it a little bit by only using what you already have. We have to show:
Bashyboy said:
##P_1...P_k = P_1 \cap ... \cap P_k##
I don't think you need the six lines lines for the inclusion ##P_1...P_k \subseteq P_1 \cap ... \cap P_k##
All ##P_i## are ideals, so any product ##q_1\ldots q_k = q_1 \ldots q_{i-1}\cdot q_i \cdot q_{i+1}\ldots q_k \in P_i##, i.e. the inclusion holds.
For the other direction, say ##Q = P_1 \cap ... \cap P_k## which ...
Bashyboy said:
since ##\bigcap_{i=1}^k (p_i^{n_i})## is the intersection of ideals, it must also be an ideal
... and is proper by definition. Now we have
Bashyboy said:
(a) Every proper ideal is a product of ##M_1...M_n## of maximal ideals which are uniquely determined up to an order.
So ##P_1 \ldots P_k \subseteq Q = (y) = M_1 \ldots M_n= (m_1) \ldots (m_n)=(m_1 \ldots m_n)## with primes ##m_i## because maximal ideals are prime and ##R## is a PID. (This follows without any excursions to UFD and irreducibility.)
Bashyboy said:
Since ##(y) = \bigcap_{i=1}^k (p_i^{n_i})##
##p_i\,\vert \,p_i^{n_i}\,\vert \,m_1 \ldots m_n=y\,## so w.l.o.g. ##\,p_i=m_i\,## for all ##1 \leq i \leq k##. Thus ##y=p_1\ldots p_k \cdot m_{k+1}\ldots m_n \cdot r##. Since all ##p_i^{n_i}## still divide ##y##, we can cancel them one by one by repetition of the argument, so ##p_1^{n_1}\ldots p_k^{n_k} \,\vert \, y##.

Last edited:

1. What is a PID?

A PID, or principal ideal domain, is a type of commutative ring in abstract algebra. It is a type of ring in which every ideal can be generated by a single element, making it a useful tool for studying factorization and divisibility of elements in a ring.

2. What are primary ideals in a PID?

Primary ideals in a PID are a special type of ideal that have the property of being "irreducible." This means that they cannot be factored into smaller ideals. In a PID, every nonzero prime ideal is also a primary ideal.

3. Why are primary ideals important in a PID?

Primary ideals have many important properties in a PID. For example, they are closely related to prime elements and are used to study factorization and divisibility in the ring. They also play a crucial role in the structure and characterization of PIDs.

4. How are primary ideals different from prime ideals in a PID?

While both primary and prime ideals are irreducible in a PID, they differ in their properties. Unlike primary ideals, prime ideals are not necessarily generated by a single element. Additionally, primary ideals have a stronger divisibility property, while prime ideals only have a weaker containment property.

5. Can primary ideals exist in rings other than PIDs?

Yes, primary ideals can exist in other types of rings, such as commutative rings with zero divisors or noncommutative rings. However, in a PID, every nonzero prime ideal is also a primary ideal, making them particularly significant in this type of ring.