Hamiltonian and forces Help

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a wire suspended at two points and the need to determine the necessary forces for supporting it. The Hamiltonian, which represents the energy of the system, is plotted as a function of distance along the wire. The length of the wire is mentioned to be 7, and the plot of the Hamiltonian is shown. The person also mentions the formula for work and asks for help understanding the situation.
hasasl
How should the Hamiltonian look and what are the necessary forces??

Hi I have a problem which I have to solve.

I have a wire which is suspended in two points like the figure below:

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/5660/59905008.png

The figure denotes the value of the costate vector in origin.http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/5752/proj209page3.png
I have plottet the variation of the hamiltonian as a function of s, where s is the distance along the wire. The wire has the length 7. What can I expect to see?

The hamiltonian (as I have understood) is the energy of the system right?

I have the following plot for the hamiltonian:

http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/6078/27767978.png

Can anybody help me understand what I see? Does it look like I'm on the right track?
The second question is that I have to determine the necessary forces in the vertical direction needed for supporting the wire in the two suspension points. work = force * displacement.. hmmm.. help...

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
There must be some experts out there... :-S

What is a Hamiltonian?

The Hamiltonian is a mathematical function that describes the total energy of a physical system. It is used in classical mechanics and quantum mechanics to analyze the dynamics of a system.

What is the relationship between Hamiltonian and forces?

The Hamiltonian is related to the forces acting on a system through the equations of motion. The forces can be derived from the Hamiltonian using the Hamilton's equations.

What is the significance of Hamiltonian in physics?

The Hamiltonian is a fundamental concept in physics and plays a crucial role in understanding the dynamics of physical systems. It is used in a wide range of fields such as mechanics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics.

What is the difference between classical and quantum Hamiltonian?

In classical mechanics, the Hamiltonian is a function of position and momentum variables. In quantum mechanics, it is a Hermitian operator that operates on the wavefunction of a system.

How can Hamiltonian be used to solve physical problems?

The Hamiltonian provides a mathematical framework to model and analyze physical systems. It can be used to derive equations of motion, calculate energies, and predict the behavior of a system over time.